contacting other translators of the same agency
Thread poster: Adam Podstawczynski

Adam Podstawczynski  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:50
Polish to English
+ ...
Oct 29, 2005

Hello everyone,

A few weeks past the payment term, an agency has not paid (yet) for a larger project. Currently it looks more and more like they are deliberately avoiding contact with me.

I know that the project was multilingual (English into several European languages). However, I do not know other translators' names. Would it be possible to attempt a contact with other translators of the same project via this proz.com's forum? Even if not explicitly stating the name of the agency, at least giving a hint on the nature of the large project (to avoid "bad press" to the agency, if it acutally proves this is a mistake/overlooking, etc.)?
Such communication with other translators on this matter would help, because:

- This would enable me to see whether it's only me who hasn't been paid, due to unimaginable mess in the company's accounting department, or if this is intentional.
- I would be able to make a more accurate BlueBoard entry.
- If other translators haven't been paid either, we could join forces and be more effective in our actions.

I haven't seen such practices at proz.com yet, but providing that the agency cannot be identified by such an imaginative query (only a particular project would be identifiable by giving hints), I don't think this could do any harm. What do you think?

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Please use the BlueBoard Oct 29, 2005

Hi Adam,
As a general answer, please refer to the relevant forum rule:

12. No client discussions

Comments regarding at a specific outsourcer, whether positive or negative, are not permitted. (To indicate your likelihood of working again with a given outsourcer, use the ProZ.com Blue Board.)

This covers both explicit and implicit references to outsourcers.

A few weeks past the payment term, an agency has not paid (yet) for a larger project. Currently it looks more and more like they are deliberately avoiding contact with me.

Have you posted a Blue Board entry?

I know that the project was multilingual (English into several European languages). However, I do not know other translators' names. Would it be possible to attempt a contact with other translators of the same project via this proz.com's forum? Even if not explicitly stating the name of the agency, at least giving a hint on the nature of the large project (to avoid "bad press" to the agency, if it acutally proves this is a mistake/overlooking, etc.)?

The main issue with this approach is that you cannot restrict the discussion to those directly involved.

Such communication with other translators on this matter would help, because:

- This would enable me to see whether it's only me who hasn't been paid, due to unimaginable mess in the company's accounting department, or if this is intentional.
- I would be able to make a more accurate BlueBoard entry.
- If other translators haven't been paid either, we could join forces and be more effective in our actions.

Take your BB entry as a starting point - we have often seen such coordinated action (if necessary) triggered through the Blue Board.

If this was a job posted through ProZ.com, please contact me through my profile, indicating the job URL.

Best regards,
Ralf

Adam Podstawczynski  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. I think I'll just wait. Oct 29, 2005

Hi Ralf,

Thank you for your response. I actually did not mean to identify the agency, but to make my query in such a way that only the translators involved would recognize the particular project. I also did not mean to start any public discussion whatsoever -- just to receive private contact from the (possibly) affected translators.

You suggest that the BlueBoard is the answer, but that's a part of my problem -- I would like to make a BlueBoard entry, but have too little data to start with. It is too early, in my opinion. If this looked like deliberate non-payment case, I'd give it a "1". If this proves to be a result of a terrible coincidence (a few sick people at the agency at the same time, overhaul of the accounting dept., or other non-deliberate case), I'd might even give a 2 or 3 as my likelihood of working for this agency again.

The particular project was not announced via Proz.com, but my business with the agency is a result of an earlier "expanding translators' database"-type announcement from this agency at Proz.com.

Once again thank you for the response. After reanalysing my data and looking at your answer, I believe it'll be best to just wait some more time maybe. The problem is that this is quite a significant amount of money for me.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Don't wait... Oct 29, 2005

Hi again,

Thank you for your response. I actually did not mean to identify the agency, but to make my query in such a way that only the translators involved would recognize the particular project.

I know - the problem is that you cannot really control that...

I also did not mean to start any public discussion whatsoever -- just to receive private contact from the (possibly) affected translators.

Also understood - thing is, we're in a public forum, so we cannot really control that, either.

You suggest that the BlueBoard is the answer, but that's a part of my problem -- I would like to make a BlueBoard entry, but have too little data to start with. It is too early, in my opinion. If this looked like deliberate non-payment case, I'd give it a "1". If this proves to be a result of a terrible coincidence (a few sick people at the agency at the same time, overhaul of the accounting dept., or other non-deliberate case), I'd might even give a 2 or 3 as my likelihood of working for this agency again.

You can edit your entry as long as the outsourcer hasn't responded. But even then, if you want to subsequently raise the LWA, I have yet to see an outsourcer who wouldn't agree with that (moderators can remove entry/response pairs upon mutual consent).

Once again thank you for the response. After reanalysing my data and looking at your answer, I believe it'll be best to just wait some more time maybe. The problem is that this is quite a significant amount of money for me.

That's precisely why I don't think you should wait, but (i) go ahead and post an entry; and (ii) submit a non-payment complaint through the Blue Board (you'll be prompted to do so if you post an entry with an LWA of 1 or 2).

Best regards,
Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

contacting other translators of the same agency

Advanced search

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs