Thread poster: Claudia Mirza

Claudia Mirza  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:34
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
Nov 4, 2005

Dear Professionals:

The vision of my company is focused on servicing de Advertising and Marketing industry.

However, the life cycle of a translation for an advertising piece is longer than the normal translation.

This industry requires lots of changes to the English copy, lots of hours of work pampering the clients and copy, a significant amount of accuracy and editing.

I would like to get some opinions of the way I should charge for this type of work/industry.

Per hour, per word, other overheads that I should consider?

Direct link Reply with quote

Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
French to Spanish
+ ...
Don't get it. Nov 4, 2005

What do you need exactly? Rates to translate a "piece of advertising"? What kind? Just a sentence, few words, a complete campaign?
What do you mean by:
"However, the life cycle of a translation for an advertising piece is longer than the normal translation."?

A...... E......, no salga sin ella.

(Slogan de una famosa tarjeta de crédito: yo hubiera cobrado millones por él).

Bosnian to English
+ ...
flat rate plus hourly Nov 4, 2005

When I worked at a translation agency that had a lot of big advertising agencies as clients, they would bid a flat rate (always much higher for ad jobs than just a regular translation, since the ad copy might be very short, required back translation, several versions, etc), then stipulated an hourly charge for everything done that was not included in the flat rate bid (for example, one back translation of each version and one or two rounds of changes might be included, anything above that was extra). You have to figure out the flat rate, according to each project, the client's needs, and the time and translation charges involved, and an hourly rate that would cover your expenses for additional man hours on the project. Trial and error is probably the best way to get it right. Just track all of your expenses during the first few projects and make sure you are bidding accurately and making the kind of profit you had aimed for, and if not, adjust your next bids accordingly.

Best of luck to you!

Carolina Mendez  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
Rate for the translation and for the hour of work Nov 6, 2005

The best in this case is to go with a flat rate for translation per se, and an hourly rate for all those changes, editing, whether big or small ones.
Same policy lawyers' use and never loose time and/or money.
Carolina Mendez

Claudia Mirza  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
It makes sense Nov 6, 2005

Thank you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for Marketing and Advertising Industry

Advanced search

Translation news

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info » PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs