Thread poster: Manuel Cedeño Berrueta
Manuel Cedeño Berrueta
Manuel Cedeño Berrueta
Local time: 03:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 12, 2002

Hi everybody.

Three polls concerning ProZ members (concerning any professional translator, in my opinion) have been open on the list

[email protected] for over a week. Two of them are price-related:

1 – the convenience of establishin
... See more
Hi everybody.

Three polls concerning ProZ members (concerning any professional translator, in my opinion) have been open on the list

[email protected] for over a week. Two of them are price-related:

1 – the convenience of establishing minimum fees/rates for our work:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/translation_proz/surveys?id=10788830, and

2 – the fees/rates considered “reasonable”:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/translation_proz/surveys?id=10788825.

During this time, the first poll has received 7 replies, and the second, 6 replies.

I simply cannot understand this apparent lack of interest.

I am very interested in knowing your opinion about this, and the best place to discuss this issue.

Thank you for your time.

Manuel

[email protected]
Collapse

jccantrell
jccantrell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:09
Member (2005)
German to English
disinterest? Jul 12, 2002

Let me see....

In order to read this stuff, I have to set up a yahoo login. Free, but still a pain in the neck.

Second, as this is directed at Proz users, why not start it here? Perhaps because it has been done to death? Perhaps because the topic did not get 30,000 answers here either?

Personally, I think rates are between my clients and me. I charge what *I* am comfortable with, and if the client is UNcomfortable with that, he may g
... See more
Let me see....

In order to read this stuff, I have to set up a yahoo login. Free, but still a pain in the neck.

Second, as this is directed at Proz users, why not start it here? Perhaps because it has been done to death? Perhaps because the topic did not get 30,000 answers here either?

Personally, I think rates are between my clients and me. I charge what *I* am comfortable with, and if the client is UNcomfortable with that, he may go elsewhere. A client MAY try offering lower rates, but *I* am allowed to say, \"No thank you.\"

What *I* consider minimum or reasonable rates may have absolutely NO bearing on other translators, even if they live next door to me. They have to charge what THEY are comfortable with.

Not exactly survey answers, but my opinion and you DID say you would be interested in it.
Collapse

BelkisDV
BelkisDV  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thank you Manuel Jul 15, 2002

I was unaware of the poll, since I have been away. Thanks to your message I was able to log on and vote .

Regards,

Belkis

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
The poll is not being run by ProZ.com staff Jul 16, 2002

The poll linked to here is an independent effort, and should not have \"proz\" in the name.

By the way, the rates mechanism on ProZ.com has been very well received; 2200 people have now published rates information in their profiles. Platinum members can view the results in their pairs by clicking \"view rates\" in the menu.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Minimum rates and reasonable rates

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »