https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/38784-translation_pricing%3A_fuzzy_match.html

Translation pricing: fuzzy match
Thread poster: Barbara Santos
Barbara Santos
Barbara Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:21
Member (2005)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Nov 8, 2005

I'm filling a form for a database and they're asking the pricing for exact match (100%), fuzzy match (95-99%), no Match, repetition, etc. I'm a bit lost here: what do they mean? What kind of pricing should I offer? I work with EN+DE as source language and Portuguese as target language. Explanations and advices are welcome:)

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:21
German to Spanish
Standard Nov 8, 2005

Barbara Santos wrote:

I'm filling a form for a database and they're asking the pricing for exact match (100%), fuzzy match (95-99%), no Match, repetition, etc. I'm a bit lost here: what do they mean? What kind of pricing should I offer? I work with EN+DE as source language and Portuguese as target language. Explanations and advices are welcome:)

exact match (100%) + Repetitions -> 25 - 30 % of your price

fuzzy match (95-99%) -> 50 - 60 %

no Match -> 100 %

Based in a well done TM

Rgds

And take a look into Forum search there are a lot of comments about it (mostly against)

Toledo

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
CAT tools Nov 9, 2005

Barbara Santos wrote:

They are referring to your pricing scale when you use a CAT tool. If you do, the rates given by Fernando are pretty standard. CAT tools = Computer-aided translation tools such as Trados, Transit, Wordfast, SDLX, ...

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
If you do not use CAT, then all your segments are no match Nov 9, 2005

Barbara Santos wrote:
I'm filling a form for a database and they're asking the pricing for exact match (100%), fuzzy match (95-99%), no Match, repetition, etc. I'm a bit lost here: what do they mean?

They think all translators use CAT tools. These tools store all previously translated sentences in a database, and when you translate a new text, the tool queries the database for similar sentences that have already been translated.

If you don't use CAT, then all your segments (sentences) would be "no match". In such a case, if you don't have the option to mention that you don't use CAT, I suggest you simply put your normal rate in each field.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation pricing: fuzzy match

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »