Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Legitimate offer, or simply scam?
Thread poster: ydepre
ydepre
Local time: 03:02
English to French
Nov 9, 2005

Just received the following offer by email:
"I am Bishop Leslie Opoko and I am an English speaking clergy from Ghana. I will be coming over to Los Angeles, CA. in the USA on holidays from 26th of November to the 9th of December 2005 for a 10 days Vacation with my French wife, who speaks only Twi and French, alongside my kids of the ages of 3 and 5 respectively.
We will require the services of a French interpreter for 7 hours daily, 12noon to 7pm, though this could be very flexibly, for 14 days. As I will not always be with them on most occasions due to other seminars/conference which I will be attending. We will like to pay in advance of our visit so she can be assured of an interpreter during her shopping and sightseeing because this is her first visit to USA.
An early reply will be appreciated. Please acknowledge if you can offer this service ASAP and give me a price quote, and it is most important, you immediately call me on my direct line (011 233 244 033 930) as soon as you receive this email, so we can conclude on all other arrangements ASAP, as time is not really on our side.
Direct Line: 011 233 244 033 930
Fax Line: 011 233 277 900 032
e-mail:leslieopoko@gmail.com

Remain Blessed,
Bishop Leslie Opoko"

For some reason, it sounds "fishy" -- I heard of similar offsers that were just scams. Have any of you received this email recently?

Direct link Reply with quote

Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 12:02
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
It's a scam - don't even think about answering! Nov 9, 2005

They pay you more than the agreed sum in advance, by check, asking you to transfer the difference to another account. The check bounces and your money's disappeared.

HTH

Alison

Maria Diaconu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 13:02
English to Romanian
The absolute scam Nov 9, 2005

There are a lot of threads on this kind of scam on proz, just make a forum search and you'll find out.

Clelia Tarasco  Identity Verified
English to Italian
you may try Nov 9, 2005

I received a similar request some time ago, not from a bishop but from a "normal" person coming to Italy to visit relatives he had never met
I looked on the Internet to find out if he was a "real" person, had an agreement signed and did the job
He was a very nice person, paid immediately and wrote many times to thank for the services offered
Was I lucky? May be!
Anyway this is my experience

Carolina Mendez  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
Pure scam Nov 9, 2005

That one is simple scam.
Many people have received the same email in different places of the world.
How can he travel to so many place on the same date?

Neil Rear  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
Scam! Nov 9, 2005

Hello,

I received a similar message a couple of weeks back, from a person (also from Ghana) saying he was coming to visit Dollis Hill (the area in London where I live).

Apart from the fact that he said he was specifically visiting Dollis Hill from Ghana (of all the places in London you could possibly want to visit, you would not visit Dollis Hill!), the most obvious hint that it was a scam was the fact that he said he wanted an interpreter. Nowhere in my profile is the word "interpreter" even mentioned.

My suggestion to you is to heed that famous expression: if it sounds too good to be true (like someone who has never even met you before offering to pay in advance!), then it probably is.

[Edited at 2005-11-09 16:45]

Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Busy bishop with wifes speaking all posiible languages... Nov 9, 2005

ydepre wrote:

Have any of you received this email recently?

Hi,
Please take a look at this thread in the Interpreting forum - you will notice that bishops from Ghana typically have multilingual wifes and kids and they travel a lot!

Be careful, the guy is after your money.

Magda

picko924
Spanish to English
+ ...
I received this about a month ago Nov 9, 2005

I received this exact same e-mail about a month ago. These are circulars that you shouldn't pay much attantion to

samehme
United States
Local time: 03:02
English to Arabic
+ ...
Just try it Nov 9, 2005

But don't deposit the check in your account until they arrive to the US. If otherwise, they cancel the trip, simply send the check back to him.

Regards,

Sameh

Joanna Krahelska
Polish to English
+ ...
don't even think of trying... Nov 9, 2005

this is the so-called bishop scam, one of the most popular Internet scams
one thing is for sure: you will never earn any money this way!
the best, jk

John Bowden  Identity Verified
German to English
See link Nov 9, 2005

http://www.proz.com/topic/33201

Peter Shortall  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Language discrepancy Nov 9, 2005

For another thing, I used to work with Ghanaians (among other people) in my old job and I have yet to come across a Ghanaian who speaks only Twi and French. Twi is spoken in southern Ghana, where many people also speak English, but French is taught in former French colonies - Ghana was not one. If she spoke Twi and English and needed a French interpreter, it might have been a little more believable! (but not much!)

Angus Woo
Local time: 18:02
Chinese to English
+ ...
Scam Nov 10, 2005

Don't even think of trying.

John Bowden  Identity Verified
German to English
No! Don't try it!! Nov 10, 2005

samehme wrote:

Just try it.
But don't deposit the check in your account until they arrive to the US. If otherwise, they cancel the trip, simply send the check back to him.

Regards,

Sameh

This is one of the most widespread Internet scams which has been doing the rounds for a couple of years - don't even think of getting into it!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Legitimate offer, or simply scam?

Advanced search

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs