Greta Vera
Greta Vera  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:07
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
Nov 14, 2005

Hello!

Recently I have been asked to translate a big project (800,000 to 900,000 words). The agency asked me to give a "slab rate" rather than an uniform rate for the entire project. This is the first time I have been asked that. So if anyone can help me out on what is a slab rate and how can I quote it, I will appreciate it.

Thanks!

Greta Vera

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 09:07
English to German
+ ...
I think Nov 14, 2005

they were anticipating you to give them a volume discounting while reducing the overall word rate, called rate for any number of words. Brandis

USER00230 (X)
USER00230 (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:07
German to English
slab rate Nov 14, 2005

having done this recently, i would recommend the following:

1. Most important, make sure you have a look at the files before you quote, or at least know exactly what the source text is like and what electronic format the files are in. This will determine how quickly/easily or otherwise you can do the job.
2. The shorter the deadline the higher the price. 800,000 words could take you a year or more.
3. For large files you can certainly give a discount BUT for a huge file
... See more
having done this recently, i would recommend the following:

1. Most important, make sure you have a look at the files before you quote, or at least know exactly what the source text is like and what electronic format the files are in. This will determine how quickly/easily or otherwise you can do the job.
2. The shorter the deadline the higher the price. 800,000 words could take you a year or more.
3. For large files you can certainly give a discount BUT for a huge file such as this one the bulk effect begins to work against you, since you cannot take on any other jobs, or only very few, while this job is on. what will happen after the job is over? You therefore need a premium to compensate for the fact that you may be short of work for a while after the job is done. This tends to reduce the discount you can offer.
4. For a large project there is also a risk that the client/agency will go bust or not pay you or both. Is the project properly financed? Are you sure the agency will pay you along the way?

some thoughts
Collapse

Greta Vera
Mexico
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 14, 2005

i truly appreciate your thought, they are very helpful. As you know, since this is a first for me, I am not sure on what is the next step.
Thanks so much for all your help!

Best regards,

Greta

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 09:07
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Progressive rate? Nov 15, 2005

I googled the term and I think it means "progressive rate". Something like x cents for the first 100k words, y cents for the next 100k words, etc. It seems that the term is used mostly (if not only) in India.

The agency might be looking for the lowest possible price. Personally, I would be afraid to take such a big job and lose all of my other clients.

Greta Vera
Mexico
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Big help! Nov 15, 2005

Hello Hynek,

Your post was such a big help for me! I really appreciate it. With your help, Bill's and Brandis' I can propose a quote now.
I truly appreciate all your help.

Best regards,

Greta

Pat Jenner (X)
Pat Jenner (X)
Local time: 08:07
German to English
+ ...
Payment in instalments Nov 15, 2005

I would suggest that you ask for regular stage payments, say for work done each month, unless you are in the happy position of not needing regular income until you've completed the job. That would also go some way to head off the potential problem of client solvency, or at least alert you to any difficulties in time.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to set a "slab rate"?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »