Advice on accepting a job
Thread poster: Débora D'Eramo

Débora D'Eramo
United States
Local time: 10:00
English to Spanish
Nov 17, 2005

Dear everybody,
I've been contacted by an agency which appears in the famous black list, which I got from a similar website. I've checked their bb record here and they're not perfect, but some people have given them a LWA 5 score. What would you do? Would you accept the job? Thanks for any help on the matter!

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:00
English to German
+ ...
Contact the members who posted BB entries Nov 17, 2005

Hi Débora,
The obvious thing to do is to contact those members who posted entries - probably those in particular who entered high LWA levels. Their experience should give you more information than "just" an entry.

Best regards,
Ralf

Javier Herrera
Spanish
It doesn't look reliable to me Nov 17, 2005

If they had a lot of 3's (or a similar mark in a diferent directory from the Blue Board), all with similar comments, like "slow payers, but they do pay", then you would know what to expect and that's quite something. It would be your decision to accept those conditions or not.
Now, if you see a few 1's and a few 51's that's suspicious. They're either very moody (a kind of people I extremely dislike) or are just dishonest and bribing some people to get good comments and counteract the bad ones.
J.

Peter Bouillon  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
French to German
+ ...
Depends on the volume Nov 17, 2005

Débora Costa de D'Eramo wrote:
What would you do? Would you accept the job?

This depends, in part, on the job volume, that is, on the credit you would give that agency when you take up the job. You must judge how much money you want to risk; this is entirely a business decision.

If the job volume is very high, I'd insist on staged deliveries and staged payments, where the payment period is rather tight in order to limit the outstanding amount at any time.

The stages must be calculated in such a way that when the first payment fails to arrive, there is no more work done than what corresponds to the amount you want to risk on that client.

Happy bartering,
P.

Teresa Duran-Sanchez  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
+ ...
Contact those who issued the ratings Nov 17, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:

The obvious thing to do is to contact those members who posted entries - probably those in particular who entered high LWA levels.

Definitely! You should contact the professionals to find out what reasons moved them to give a high (but also low!) rating.

I gave a 1-point rating to an agency some time ago and I´ve received a number of e-mails over the years asking for information on that agency. It´s always a pleasure to help, I´ve always been willing to tell that bad experience, in quite fair terms, I believe.

Funny enough, nobody has asked me about my 5-point ratings, but that´s how it goes: people only want to hear exactly what went wrong.

Good luck!

Débora D'Eramo
United States
Local time: 10:00
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
thanks everybody Nov 17, 2005

Thanks everybody for your kind suggestions! I know what to do now.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice on accepting a job

Advanced search

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs