(UK) How much to charge for swearing an affidavit at court?
Thread poster: Nesrin
Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:52
English to Arabic
+ ...
Nov 20, 2005

Please help - I've been asked to translate a marriage certificate, submitted a quote for that, then, for the first time, I've also been asked to have an affidavit sworn either at the court or at a firm of solicitors.

I have no idea how much I should charge for that... any ideas please??

THanks,

Nesrin

[Edited at 2005-11-20 12:57]

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:52
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Actual cost plus your time Nov 20, 2005

Well, I have no idea either, but I suppose you obviously charge what the service costs (court fees or solicitor's fees) plus your time involved. You should charge your usual hourly rate, in my opinion, perhaps a little bit less for travelling time.

Astrid

Kemal Mustajbegovic
Kemal Mustajbegovic  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:52
English to Croatian
+ ...
Half of hourly rate plus fees Nov 21, 2005

I charge half of my standard hourly rate plus fees (if there are any). Swearing an affidavit here in Australia is usually done with the Justice of Peace and they do not charge any fees for their service.

Regards!

Yelena.
Yelena.  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Russian
+ ...
Fee Nov 21, 2005

UK Solicitors normally charge 5 pounds and I add another five as the firm I use is just round the corner from where I am and it takes minutes...

Fuad Yahya
Fuad Yahya  Identity Verified
Arabic
+ ...
I charge a minimum of two hours Nov 22, 2005

For any trip outside of my home office, I charge a minimum of two hours plus expenses (whatever the activity).

For any out-of-town trip, I charge a minimum of two days plus expenses (whatever the activity).

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Yelena, your clients are lucky... Nov 23, 2005

..that you have a solicitor around a corner who does it for 5 ponds. In London I haven't found one at a reasonable distance who asks less than 20 pounds. Notaries are even more expensive, starting around 40.

Yelena.
Yelena.  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Russian
+ ...
Hmm Nov 23, 2005

juvera wrote:

..that you have a solicitor around a corner who does it for 5 ponds. In London I haven't found one at a reasonable distance who asks less than 20 pounds. Notaries are even more expensive, starting around 40.

That's strange... The 5 pound fee is set by the national regulations, I checked it a few years ago and found one of the links just now: http://www.compactlaw.co.uk/free_legal_information/small_claims/smcf14.html

With notaries, I agree, they charge from 35 pounds per document...

[Edited at 2005-11-23 17:14]

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Yelena, Nov 24, 2005

you gave me an idea, and I'll have to check.
The website information refers to "Affidavit in support of small claims", so it may not be totally relevant.
Generally, I didn't find the local solicitors helpful, and usually go to a notary, but they are expensive.

As far as the original question is concerned, the cost paid + time spent would be the proper way to invoice the client. But for the translator it is better to have it done at a reasonable cost and not too much t
... See more
you gave me an idea, and I'll have to check.
The website information refers to "Affidavit in support of small claims", so it may not be totally relevant.
Generally, I didn't find the local solicitors helpful, and usually go to a notary, but they are expensive.

As far as the original question is concerned, the cost paid + time spent would be the proper way to invoice the client. But for the translator it is better to have it done at a reasonable cost and not too much travel.

Here is another reference, this time relating to divorce:
"...a fee of between £5.00-9.00 when you swear your Affidavit in support of the Divorce petition, when we ask the Court to fix a date for Decree Nisi. However, the affidavit can be sworn at any County Court office at no charge." So it is not a fixed charge of £5.00.

On the other hand County Courts may do it for nothing. But you may have to hang around for ages, in spite of getting an appointment. I haven't tried that method yet.

It is easy to ring up the nearest C.C. and ask them, and I will certainly try it when I need it next time.

[Edited at 2005-11-24 15:03]

[Edited at 2005-11-25 11:01]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

(UK) How much to charge for swearing an affidavit at court?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »