Mobile menu

Help with file analysis
Thread poster: Débora D'Eramo

Débora D'Eramo
United States
Local time: 20:41
English to Spanish
Nov 20, 2005

Dear everybody,
I've received a number of files from an agency and my count differs from theirs. It's not a very important difference, some 200 words. I wonder if any of you would be so kind as to analysing the files for me and confirm my figures or the agency's, in case I'm missing something.
Thank you all.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Aleksandra Kwasnik  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:41
Polish to German
+ ...
Footnotes? Nov 20, 2005

Débora Costa de D'Eramo wrote:

Dear everybody,
I've received a number of files from an agency and my count differs from theirs. It's not a very important difference, some 200 words. I wonder if any of you would be so kind as to analysing the files for me and confirm my figures or the agency's, in case I'm missing something.
Thank you all.


Hi,
I had a similar case: the difference resulted from the fact that there is an option in Word (in German version at least) to count words within a text "with footnotes". You have to choose this option, if you don't the footnotes are not included in the count.
HTH -
Aleksandra


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Débora D'Eramo
United States
Local time: 20:41
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
thanks anyway Nov 21, 2005

[quote]Aleksandra Kwasnik wrote:

Hi,
I had a similar case: the difference resulted from the fact that there is an option in Word (in German version at least) to count words within a text "with footnotes". You have to choose this option, if you don't the footnotes are not included in the count.

Thanks, Aleksandra, for your idea, but I used the Trados function Analyse to count words, and the agency did the same. It is here where the problem lies. But thanks again to uoy and to all the people who contacted me through my profile page for their help and their time.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

PCovs
Denmark
Local time: 02:41
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
Penalties settings Nov 21, 2005

I have tried this once, and in the end the client said that it had to do with their penalties settings (I'm not really into this, so I don't know how), so they changed their settings to the standard settings, which I use, and then the word counts were the same on both sides.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Débora D'Eramo
United States
Local time: 20:41
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
you may be right Nov 21, 2005

PCovs wrote:

I have tried this once, and in the end the client said that it had to do with their penalties settings (I'm not really into this, so I don't know how), so they changed their settings to the standard settings, which I use, and then the word counts were the same on both sides.



I've received some other comments similar to yours and reported the info to the agency. Thanks for your help!!!


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with file analysis

Advanced search


Translation news





memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs