Thread poster: Claudio Chagas
Claudio Chagas
Brazil
Local time: 06:01
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Nov 29, 2005

Hello everyone,

I received the e-mail message below which I think is a scam aimed at PayPal members. It asks you to enter your account information to confirm that you are not away. Very strange, don't you you think?

Has anyone received this e-mail?

Best,
Claudio

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Nov 29, 2005 11:53 AM
Subject: PayPal - Check your account
To: undisclosed-recipients

PayPal

Information Regarding Your account:
Dear PayPal Member!

Attention! Your PayPal account has been violated!

Someone with ip address 149.225.126.87 tried to access your personal account!

Please click the link below and enter your account information to confirm that you are not currently away. You have 3 days to confirm account information or your account will be locked.

Click here to activate your account

You can also confirm your email address by logging into your PayPal account at
http://paypal.com/. Click on the "Confirm email" link in the Activate Account box and then enter this confirmation number: 1036-8535-4511-9500-3892

Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team

Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address cannot be answered. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and choose the "Help" link in the footer of any page.
PayPal Email ID PP059

Protect Your Account Info
Make sure you never provide your password to fraudulent websites.

To safely and securely access the PayPal website or your account, open a new web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer or Netscape) and type in the PayPal login page (http://paypal.com/) to be sure you are on the real PayPal site.

PayPal will never ask you to enter your password in an email.

For more information on protecting yourself from fraud, please review our Security Tips at https://www.paypal.com/us/securitytips
Protect Your Password
You should never give your PayPal password to anyone.

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:01
English to German
+ ...
Check previous discussions Nov 29, 2005

Hi Claudio,
Thanks for bringing this to other members' attention.

Has anyone received this e-mail?

Yes. Numerous times, in fact - enter "PayPal scam" in the forum search, and see for yourself...

Best regards,
Ralf

GoodWords  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not only PayPal members Nov 29, 2005

In fact, e-mails similar to this one are sent out widely, not only to PayPal members. I regularly find it in my Spam Folder. It is easy for me to recognize it as a scam, since I am not even a PayPal member.

Claudio Chagas
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
PayPal Scam Nov 29, 2005

GoodWords wrote:

...It is easy for me to recognize it as a scam, since I am not even a PayPal member.

Yep, that is so true. What's funny about my case is that I had closed my account with PayPal not too long ago. At least for a time I was connected to PayPal, but I don't know how they connected you to PayPal. Maybe through Proz membership, as many Proz members use PayPal. Well, as much as I can I report this type of emails, and I reported this one to PayPal. When will Scams like this stop. Does anyone still fall for scams like these? There will always be someone who will for many reasons, and scams are getting more sophisticated, but thanks goodness people's perception of scams are increasing too.

NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 05:01
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

PayPal has info on the subject Nov 29, 2005

I, too, received this message and remembered the previous threads Ralf refers to.

PayPal has addressed the issue on its website, and notes that it will never address its customers as Dear Paypal Customer (or similar generic greeting). PayPal, in its correspondence with its clients, addresses them by name.

Nancy

JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 05:01
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thank you for reporting Nov 29, 2005

Yes, this has been discussed in a previous forum in which a ProZer had received a very similar email. But *please*, everyone, keep sending these notifications to ProZ forums as well as to PayPal (or whoever). You're doing a great service to others who may not realize it's a scam.

In the last few months there have been two occasions on which I read about a scam in a ProZ forum and then, soon afterwards, received the very email my colleague had cited. Forewarned is forearmed.

John Walsh  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2004)
Italian to English
. Nov 29, 2005

You can forward it to spoof@paypal.com and they'll tell you if it's legit. 99% of the time it's not.
Look at the one I got today. They didn't even invest in a professional translation:

We recently have determined that different computers have logged into your PayPal account, and multiple password failures were present before the login. One of our Customer Service employees has already tryed to telephonically reach you. As our employee did not manage to reach you, this email has been sent to your notice.
Therefore your account has been temporary suspended. We need you to confirm your identity in order to regain full privileges of your account.
If this is not completed by November 30, 2005, we reserve the right to terminate all privileges of your account indefinitly, as it may have been used for fraudulent purposes. We thank you for your cooperation in this manner.
To confirm your identity please follow the link below:

[Edited at 2005-11-29 23:30]

Lucinda  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I received it too. Nov 30, 2005

Hi Claudio,
Thanks for reporting it and alerting others. I received this email too and sent it to the spoof dept of PayPal. They are very helpful and have a lot of info on this thing.

Greetings from Sunny Suriname.
Lucinda

Claudio Chagas
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More scams Nov 30, 2005

Hi all,

There seems to be a wave of these emails recently. I just received another one, and not even bothered opening or reporting it. i simply deleted it forever. They go straight to my Spam folder, but even that is annoying. I never received Spam mail on my Gmail account, which has the best Spam filter that I have seem, but these PayPal scam mails managed to get through somehow. They are pestering my spam box.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Phishing Nov 30, 2005

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phishing

davidgreen
German to English
never click the link in the email Nov 30, 2005

don't even try to decide if it's legit or not. Just go to the paypal, or ebay or banking site the way you normally do and log in, you will find the same message in your inbox there *e.g. ebay messages* if it was really sent by them.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PayPal Scam

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums