Where is the bottom? Sinking Rates
Thread poster: Hans-Henning Judek
Hans-Henning Judek
Hans-Henning Judek  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:37
German to English
+ ...
Jul 17, 2002

I know that this is not the place to discuss certain rates, but it is a general trend we experience now, so it should be OK.

I received the following e-mail from an agency in the UK, I did about $2000 translation work for last year. They are reputable, professional, paid and are nice to work with. No complaints.

The rates were already low for my taste at that time (about 12 Cents per word, but with the typical CAT reduction of \"from 66 to 95%, 2rd of t
... See more
I know that this is not the place to discuss certain rates, but it is a general trend we experience now, so it should be OK.

I received the following e-mail from an agency in the UK, I did about $2000 translation work for last year. They are reputable, professional, paid and are nice to work with. No complaints.

The rates were already low for my taste at that time (about 12 Cents per word, but with the typical CAT reduction of \"from 66 to 95%, 2rd of the price, etc.) , but I had very little work after 9/11 WTC and the topic was so familiar for me that I just could \"zip through\". So I took it. Now I got this e-mail! With 15% less, they are definitely out of my price range. Question is - do I price myself out of the market now? Any similar experience? I put it up for discussion:

[QUOTE]

THIS E-MAIL SHOT IS SENT TO ALL TRANSLATORS REGISTERED WITH \"XYZ\"

Dear Translator,

I am writing from XYZ (also known as ZYX Ltd) and as you know, you are one of our regular translation suppliers.

XZY, one of Europe\'s largest Language Management companies, has been chosen by over half of the FTSE 100 for translations between 115 languages. This is due to exceptional responsiveness and quality. We continue to grow our business and secure major new contracts with some of the largest companies in the world.

However, the market for translation is tightening and we are experiencing real pressure on our prices, experiencing reductions in the region of 15%. Customers are negotiating very hard before placing work with us and we believe this situation is not just for XYZ but is industry-wide.

In order to ensure our continued competitiveness we are expecting you to reduce your prices also.

We hold our translators in the highest regard and recognise their immense contribution to the success of XYZ. We would like to carry on the good working relationship already existing between XYZ and its suppliers. We will only be able to do so if our suppliers (this means you) accept to come down on their rates.

As from July 1st 2002, with immediate effect, we expect our translation suppliers to reduce their rates significantly. As you know XYZ is regarded as highly professional and pay their suppliers on time. I hope that you will continue to be part of XYZ and I look forward to our continuing relationship.

Thanking you for all the work you carried out so far for XYZ.

Kind regards,

(Signature)

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where is the bottom? Sinking Rates

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »