https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/39995-how_to_deal_with_payment_problems.html

How to deal with payment problems
Thread poster: Débora D'Eramo
Débora D'Eramo
Débora D'Eramo  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 04:56
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
Dec 7, 2005

Hi everybody!
I'd like any of you to give some advice on the following:
A couple of months ago, I undertook a large job for a local agency. Everything ran smoothly until the project finished and I was told to expect payment within 30 days or less, which seemed quite normal to me. The thing is that the agency hasn't sent me any work order so far (more than 20 days have passed) and they haven't asked me to send them any invoice either. I don't know whether this behavior is normal or no
... See more
Hi everybody!
I'd like any of you to give some advice on the following:
A couple of months ago, I undertook a large job for a local agency. Everything ran smoothly until the project finished and I was told to expect payment within 30 days or less, which seemed quite normal to me. The thing is that the agency hasn't sent me any work order so far (more than 20 days have passed) and they haven't asked me to send them any invoice either. I don't know whether this behavior is normal or not. Moreover, I accepted a second, smaller job from the same agency a couple of weeks ago, and they did the same: sent a confirmation message upon receival and... never heard of them again. Last week I sent them a mail with the wordcounts of both jobs, and I got a response from the PM saying that she would contact me next week (this week) since she couldn't pay any attention to me then for they were overloaded with work. Today is Wednesday and I haven't heard of them yet, and I don't think I do tomorrow, since it's a holiday. I wonder if I'm getting a bit paranoic here or if they really have an organization problem. It's a pity because the projects were really interesting and I felt very comfortable working for them.
What would you guys do if you were in my position?
I appreciate your help and I wish you all a nice holiday (those of you who live in countries where tomorrow is a holiday, of course).
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:56
English to German
+ ...
Do you have a payment problem? Dec 7, 2005

Hi Débora,
What would you guys do if you were in my position?

Send an invoice, based on the information provided in the PO.

Best regards,
Ralf

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:56
English to Danish
+ ...
Invoice them! Dec 7, 2005

Whether they require you to wait for a PO or not, doesn't really matter, as far as I'm concerned...
You have performed work for them, they're your client; invoice them.
If they drag their feet, it should never be to your disadvantage.
Sending them an invoice usually wakes them up in my experience.
And if you write on the invoice that they have to contest the invoice within 7 working days, you're on the safe side.
If they are late in paying, accept no excuses; demand
... See more
Whether they require you to wait for a PO or not, doesn't really matter, as far as I'm concerned...
You have performed work for them, they're your client; invoice them.
If they drag their feet, it should never be to your disadvantage.
Sending them an invoice usually wakes them up in my experience.
And if you write on the invoice that they have to contest the invoice within 7 working days, you're on the safe side.
If they are late in paying, accept no excuses; demand payment and keep bugging them until they pay.
"Never let agencies bully you nor dictate the conditions" is my motto.

Good luck
Jørgen
Collapse

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 01:56
English to French
+ ...
Local agency Dec 7, 2005

You can probably deliver your invoice in person then. Usually that tells the agency, "I live right around the corner, hint-hint."

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to deal with payment problems

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »