Moneybookers changed their policy
Thread poster: RHELLER
RHELLER
United States
Local time: 05:22
French to English
+ ...
Dec 19, 2005

but did not notify their customers. (That would be illegal in the U.S.)

Even though I had already used their services in the past, I now have to go through a complicated "identity verification" process in order to withdraw MY funds!

In addition, their customer service telephone line is not very helpful.

Direct link Reply with quote

Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:22
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
You mean they require verification second time? Dec 19, 2005

Hi,
In what way they have changed the policy - do you mean they required you to verify your ID the second time? I remember I did this some 2 years ago (it was easy, just withdrawing small amount and sending them back the code attached to the transfer). Haven't been withdrawing anything lately - what are the changes?

Magda

RHELLER
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
what they told me today Dec 19, 2005

I received money in '04 but now, since they have instituted what they are calling "additional security measures", they are requiring a new identity verification procedure.

I called them today because I am not pleased. I would understand this verification if I were the payer, but I am the receiver!

Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 14:22
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
same problem here Dec 19, 2005

Hi, Rita. I understand completely. I am having the same headaches with them now. Hope they come to better conclusions in the future. I have written down all the details entered in my moneybookers account. I am afraid I will make a mistake when using it. It's not very difficult to make mistakes with all these numbers and re-entering them all the time. I keep forgetting one thing ot another and it is so complicated to verify everything, it's like an endless chain of codes and confirmation codes for the first codes...
Good luck with solving your problem with their system.

RHELLER
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
it is upsetting Dec 19, 2005

thanks Christina.

I sent them an email on Dec. 15 and they still hadn't responded as of this morning Dec. 19. So, I called them and they simply continued to make the same requests.

I have never had a problem with paypal. This is pretty upsetting and time-consuming.

Alp Berker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:22
Turkish to English
+ ...
Same problem today Dec 19, 2005

Hi,
I had the same problem today. I was surprised that they tried to verify me reciving funds. Though I am a new user. Hopefully they will streamline this so I can get my money.

Peter Bouillon  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:22
Member (2005)
French to German
+ ...
Now *that* wouldn't make sense Dec 19, 2005

Rita Heller wrote:
I would understand this verification if I were the payer, but I am the receiver!

I don't agree. If you pay into some account, they don't bear any risk by simply letting you do that. On the other hand, if you withdraw money and it turns out later that you weren't supposed to, then they get into trouble: the money is gone and the person the money really belongs to will hold them liable.

So letting people withdraw money is where their risk lies; they are bound to install safeguards against fraudulent withdrawals and not against fraudulent payments.

P.

RHELLER
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
good news :-) Dec 22, 2005

I found out I could fax my ID - so I faxed a copy of my passport and a statement with my current address on it.

Today I was able to initiate the bank transfer - now I just have to wait to verify the deposit of funds.

To Peter: The anti "money laundering" laws are against depositors - not receivers.

RHELLER
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Outcome: funds have been posted Jan 4, 2006

Just to follow up: Happy to say that I received the money!

It took 3 emails, a phone call, a fax, and 10 days (to reach my bank).

All's well that ends well.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Moneybookers changed their policy

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs