Mobile menu

How much to charge on foreign trips
Thread poster: Dr Manuel Delgado

Dr Manuel Delgado  Identity Verified
English to Portuguese
Jan 5, 2006

A Client wants me to travel to the Netherlands for a series of meetings. Besides travel and accommodations, how much should my per diem be?

Direct link Reply with quote

Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:35
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
How much to charge on foreign trips Jan 5, 2006

I would calculate a flat rate for 8 hour work day (8 x hourly rate), inform the client that he would have to pay separately for anything on top of these 8 hours and charge the same rate for travelling because during this time you cannot do other work. If travelling takes half a day, charge for half a day, but start charging from the moment you step out of your house.

Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:35
receipts Jan 5, 2006

Your dinner & lunch is normally paid for as well if you eat out with the client.

The golden rule of business travel is to keep all your receipts

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
Per diem Jan 6, 2006

Per diem is not your fee, it is just an amount that mainly would cover your meals so just calculate what your meals should cost per day, but also take into account any meals that might be provided.

Probably not a large amount.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much to charge on foreign trips

Advanced search

Translation news

Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs