Thread poster: Dr Manuel Delgado
Dr Manuel Delgado
Dr Manuel Delgado  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:23
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jan 5, 2006

A Client wants me to travel to the Netherlands for a series of meetings. Besides travel and accommodations, how much should my per diem be?

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:23
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
How much to charge on foreign trips Jan 5, 2006

I would calculate a flat rate for 8 hour work day (8 x hourly rate), inform the client that he would have to pay separately for anything on top of these 8 hours and charge the same rate for travelling because during this time you cannot do other work. If travelling takes half a day, charge for half a day, but start charging from the moment you step out of your house.

HTH,
Burrell

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 16:23
receipts Jan 5, 2006

Your dinner & lunch is normally paid for as well if you eat out with the client.

The golden rule of business travel is to keep all your receipts

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Per diem Jan 6, 2006

Per diem is not your fee, it is just an amount that mainly would cover your meals so just calculate what your meals should cost per day, but also take into account any meals that might be provided.

Probably not a large amount.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much to charge on foreign trips

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »