https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/41011-instant_translation_short_turnover.html

instant translation/short turnover
Thread poster: marie-christine périé
marie-christine périé
marie-christine périé  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:15
English to French
+ ...
Jan 5, 2006

Hello,
I've just been asked by an agency to do some "almost real-time" translation (their words). English to French. It implies translating an on-line forum. I would basically have a day to translate the inputs.
Do you do this type of work? Do you think I should charge the same rate than usual or a higher one?
It's quite specialized (medical forum open to doctors, not the general public.)
I would like to accept the job but will welcome any guideline on the rates.
T
... See more
Hello,
I've just been asked by an agency to do some "almost real-time" translation (their words). English to French. It implies translating an on-line forum. I would basically have a day to translate the inputs.
Do you do this type of work? Do you think I should charge the same rate than usual or a higher one?
It's quite specialized (medical forum open to doctors, not the general public.)
I would like to accept the job but will welcome any guideline on the rates.
Thanks!
Marie-Christine
Collapse

Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
French to English
Make sure you get paid for your time regardless of volume. Jan 5, 2006

I once did a job where I had to do real-time written summaries of audio files from a meeting. The purchase order was per minute of audio with a minimum per day.

The issue was that the customer had some technical problems, so that on one of the days I ended up waiting around a lot and not really doing much work. On another day, there were also technical problems that caused delays and I worked until midnight to get the summaries delivered.

The problem was that I ended up
... See more
I once did a job where I had to do real-time written summaries of audio files from a meeting. The purchase order was per minute of audio with a minimum per day.

The issue was that the customer had some technical problems, so that on one of the days I ended up waiting around a lot and not really doing much work. On another day, there were also technical problems that caused delays and I worked until midnight to get the summaries delivered.

The problem was that I ended up doing about a third less work over the days concerned than originally planned and I ended up doing one 16-hour day that lasted until midnight. I was unable to work on other projects during that time because I had to be on call in case any files came in.

The customer and I ended up splitting the difference--still a bit less than I was expecting to be paid for the week's work.

So, I would arrange for a daily rate to ensure that you are paid even if the work does not come through as planned.

Good luck. Sounds like an interesting project.

Regards,

Sara
Collapse

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 05:15
English to French
+ ...
Those can be very tiring! Jan 5, 2006

Basically, they keep bombarding you with jobs they need asap. You should probably suggest they hire a team -not just you- for the sake of sanity.

marie-christine périé
marie-christine périé  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
merci Jan 6, 2006

Sara et Sarah, de vos réponses.

I asked for un minimum rate roughly equal to 3 days work, based on a schedule they sent me. Now waiting for their replies.

I'll have to see what I should do if it turns to slavery))

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

instant translation/short turnover

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »