Mobile menu

transcription rates per minute of recording of Russian
Thread poster: Cheekita
Local time: 07:44
English to Italian
Jan 14, 2006

Does anybody happen to know how much people charge per minute of transcription of recorded interviews in Russian and English (with translation of English bits into Russian)? Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

Local time: 13:44
English to Indonesian
+ ...
A General Calculation Jan 17, 2006

I'll be interested to hear what others say because I can only offer a rough idea of a charge. I, too, often have to transcribe training films before translating and dubbing the films. Sometimes, for a large film dubbing project I haven't even charged for the transcription work.

However, if you needed a price for a proposal, just do this:
(1) Convert your translation rate per word into an hourly rate. Take the word rate you use for translations and multiply that by a standard page of text (200 words?). Take that amount and multiply it times the number of pages a day you can comfortably translate (10 pages?). Finally, divide that amount by eight hours a workday. That is your standard hourly rate.

Then charge the client that amount for the hours it takes you to do the transcription work. If you work away from the client's office, the client will just have to trust you to charge him honestly for the amount of time you actually spend transcribing.

Transcribing and translating are not so far apart in terms of effort required. Translating may take more thought, but transcribing takes more back-and-forth detail work between the DVD/VHS player and your computer.

Like I said, my idea is just a general calculation.

Local time: 07:44
English to Italian
very grateful Feb 11, 2006

Thank you very much! Just got to see your reply and I am very grateful!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

transcription rates per minute of recording of Russian

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs