Mobile menu

What do you charge for the translation of a CV?
Thread poster: Trans-Law
Local time: 22:54
English to German
+ ...
Jan 17, 2006

Dear colleagues,

What do you usually charge for the translation of a 2-page CV (resume), I wonder? I recently translated one and am not sure what to charge. The word count is low of course, but it took me several hours to do it. I can't charge the client for six hours' work though, as I feel that would be too high a price. The client is an agency.

Thank you for your answers!

[Edited at 2006-01-17 19:24]

[Edited at 2006-01-17 19:26]

Direct link Reply with quote

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:54
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Charge by the hour. Jan 17, 2006

It depends on the agreement you made with the agency.

Translating a CV or resume often amounts to completely revamping it. If you had agreed to do that and the agency knew your hourly rate, then charge the number of hours it took.

However, if there was no agreement on price ahead of time, and if some of your time was spent on fiddling with the formatting or whatever, you could decide not to charge for that time, as that was not directly related to the translation.

All in all, you would want to come up with an amount that the agency and the end client will find reasonable and acceptable.

Vito Smolej
Local time: 23:54
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
as far as my experience goes... Jan 17, 2006

I do translate (*) birth & marriage certificates now and then, charging 10, 15 bucks for 2,3 hours - yes it does not make sense, but it's investment into yet another agency -.

With CV being at least as serious as a baptism document and a little more involved, I'd ask for 40 dollars. Please note it makes sense to strike a deal first.

(*) this feels like I'm having my 5 minutes of glory during an AA meeting (g)

Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Time consuming work Jan 17, 2006

I find resumes and academic transcripts to be much more involved than translating paragraphs of straight text. There is often a lot of research and grunt work. Clients generally do not appreciate this and can't understand why "just two pages" can cost them quite a bit more than two pages of, for example, a product description. You should consider charging by the hour rather than the word.

Sara Freitas
French to English
Check Monster, CareerBuilder, etc. Jan 17, 2006

They tend to charge around 200 euros/dollars for a CV overhaul and around 300 for a CV + cover letter package.

I charge the same for CV overhauls. In fact, I am working on one right now. I count one hour to meet with the client and two to write a new CV based on their source language CV and our interview.

I only accept CV "translations" when they are for internal use (by multinational corporations or NGOs for example). I then charge about 50% more than my usual per-word rate.

[Edited at 2006-01-17 20:25]

Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to English
It's a document like any other... Jan 17, 2006

I do CVs quite frequently and charge the same I charge for other documents. They require a deft touch with language and a brevity that is no less strenous than technical work. Don't sell your work short.

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do you charge for the translation of a CV?

Advanced search

Translation news

Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs