indications for a translator's salary?
Thread poster: Inge Dijkstra

Inge Dijkstra  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:11
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jan 24, 2006

Dear all,

Currently, I am a management assistant at a Dutch University of Professional Education. I have been asked to translate all diploma supplements from Dutch into English. I am also to coordinate the entire job. The assignment will be for 2 days a week, and will take approx. 2 years, and I was promised to receive a monthly bonus. Now this seems to be only a poor 100 euros (gross!), i.e. for 8 days' work a month! Does any of you have a notion of the amount I could ask for this job? Preferably not in amounts per word, rather in amounts per day. Mind you: this concerns the bonus on top of my regular salary!
I am - by the way - a qualified translator of English (approx. 2 years experience) and very experienced in editing all sorts of texts (15 years experience)!
Thanks! Inge

[Edited at 2006-01-25 17:30]

Direct link Reply with quote

Marcelo González  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:11
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
you job description appears to have changed Feb 27, 2006

Without knowing more about your current position, such a modification in your duties--translating two days a week for the next two years--means your job description (at least informally) has just changed.

Perhaps the university would be open to the suggestion of renegotiating your contract to reflect the increased complexity of your position.

Although universities (like other large organizations) can be slow to make changes, they can also be a center for progressive thinking in terms of employment. Such a topic might be something they'd at least be willing to sit down and discuss.

My suggestion would be to go to any such negotiations prepared in terms of having a proposal that might be well-received, one which might include a raise and the possibility of related professional development (including coursework and conferences in the field).

[Edited at 2006-02-27 17:23]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

indications for a translator's salary?

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs