Mobile menu

Some Test Translations are Time Robbery
Thread poster: Joy Christensen
Joy Christensen  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:06
English
+ ...
Jul 27, 2002

What I haven\'t seen anyone discuss yet is the age-old scam that some of our otherwise reputable colleagues practice with \"test translations\". I see the practical side of asking a bidder for some kind of evidence of translating prowess. But ... !!

If the test is more than half a page, or if it is a substantial part of the assignment text, then it generally turns out that the agent was using it as a trick to get something for nothing.

The only solution I can think of is to restrict (i.e. reject) test translations to a maximum of 8 lines. SECONDLY, the text should be posted, so anyone who is interested can see that everyone is doing the same text.

[addsig]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:06
English to German
+ ...
Quite a number of discussions already Jul 27, 2002

...use the search function with \"test translation\", and you\'ll find a number of threads dealing with the issue.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Some Test Translations are Time Robbery

Advanced search

Translation news

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs