https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/41812-do_you_charge_more_while_travelling_abroad.html

Do you charge more while travelling abroad?
Thread poster: Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Local time: 23:19
English to Russian
Jan 25, 2006

I have been offered a job which involves going abroad (two European countries). It's fun but it is a bit more stressful than my usual interpreting assignments when I come home every evening, take a cup of fresh tea and relax in the comfort of my home yelling at my kids (not wife, I'm not that brave).

My rates are quite modest and I do not want to charge more just because I am going to work in a more prosperous country, because the expenses are paid by the client, but I clearly see t
... See more
I have been offered a job which involves going abroad (two European countries). It's fun but it is a bit more stressful than my usual interpreting assignments when I come home every evening, take a cup of fresh tea and relax in the comfort of my home yelling at my kids (not wife, I'm not that brave).

My rates are quite modest and I do not want to charge more just because I am going to work in a more prosperous country, because the expenses are paid by the client, but I clearly see the difference between working from my home base and being away from it for a fortnight.

What would you say is a reasonable surcharge for being on the road and away from home?

Please, give me a hint.

Stay well
Aleksandr.
Collapse

Sven Petersson
Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 22:19
English to Swedish
+ ...
Charge half of the cost of bringing your wife with you on the trip. Jan 25, 2006

That’s the empirical divorce avoidance threshold.

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Local time: 15:19
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
it depends Jan 25, 2006

Hi, Alex,
Well, you were supposed to settle the amount you want to be paid for your services prior to (aside from travel/accomodation/etc. expenses, covered, as you said, by your client). Personally, I believe that you may ask for something more than your normal "home-based" rate. But, as I said, it has to be negotiated prior to accepting the job...

And, have you negotiated at least some basic insurance coverage - like medical emergency? - say, if you, being a foreigner, would
... See more
Hi, Alex,
Well, you were supposed to settle the amount you want to be paid for your services prior to (aside from travel/accomodation/etc. expenses, covered, as you said, by your client). Personally, I believe that you may ask for something more than your normal "home-based" rate. But, as I said, it has to be negotiated prior to accepting the job...

And, have you negotiated at least some basic insurance coverage - like medical emergency? - say, if you, being a foreigner, would require some medical attention in one of those "prosperous" countries, - anything might happen, you know - you could face unbelievable costs, they might just strip you naked, man...
I would definitely ask, at least, what client thinks about possible medical coverage (or some extra pay for you to secure some at your end)...

[Edited at 2006-01-25 22:37]
Collapse

Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Local time: 23:19
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 26, 2006

Vladimir Dubisskiy wrote:Well, you were supposed to settle the amount you want to be paid for your services prior to (aside from travel/accomodation/etc. expenses, covered, as you said, by your client).

Thanks, Vladimir, the guys I work for are not regular Prozian cliens, they just pay what I tell them to when the job is done.

Personally, I believe that you may ask for something more than your normal "home-based" rate.

Understood. I will think about exact figure.

And, have you negotiated at least some basic insurance coverage - like medical emergency? ......

*That is* simple - you cannot get a Shengen visa unless you have purchased a policy. I did a lot of travelling while I worked inhouse, my question is all about being independent.

Thanks everyone!
Stay well
Alex
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+~~~>

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you charge more while travelling abroad?

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »