How to charge for updating a translated web site?
Thread poster: brigidm
brigidm
brigidm  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 04:34
Norwegian to English
Feb 1, 2006

I recently translated two web sites (first time for me), and I know one of the clients is going to ask me to continue translating and updating new info on a regular basis. How do I charge? A flat rate? Per word? Would appreciate how others have negotiated similar assignments.

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 05:34
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Do you use any CAT tool? Feb 1, 2006

Brigid Mccauley wrote:
I recently translated two web sites (first time for me), and I know one of the clients is going to ask me to continue translating and updating new info on a regular basis. How do I charge? A flat rate? Per word? Would appreciate how others have negotiated similar assignments.

If you translated the texts using a CAT tool and created a TM, updating will be really easy, so you may propose your client a discount scheme based on the CAT statistics for each new updated version of the texts.

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 23:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
Per word basis Feb 1, 2006

I think you should charge based on source words basis. No matter if you used CAT tools or not.
Best,
Walter

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Per word + minimum charge Feb 1, 2006

I suggest using a minimum charge, because the updates could be quite small.

Erika Pavelka (X)
Erika Pavelka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:34
French to English
Per hour Feb 1, 2006

Anytime I receive a request to update a document, I charge an hourly rate. My clients find this to be a very fair solution, given the sometimes little work involved. If there is considerable next text to be translated, I would charge that text per word.

OlafK
OlafK
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:34
English to German
+ ...
Agree with Erika Feb 1, 2006

I actually do this and charge by the hour. Sometimes you have to re-translate large parts of a text just because of a few words but it would be difficult to explain that to the client. I think it's fairer and definitely cheaper for the client than a minimum charge for an ongoing project.

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:34
Japanese to English
Agree with Walter Feb 2, 2006

Walter Landesman wrote:

I think you should charge based on source words basis. No matter if you used CAT tools or not.
Best,
Walter

I totally agree! CAT tools shouldn't lower a translator's pay!

brigidm
brigidm  Identity Verified
Norway
Norwegian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your feedback Feb 2, 2006

It has been very useful to hear what others would do. Some comments:
- For updating/editing existing texts. If the client wants me to make some fairly minor changes every so often, I honestly cannot see myself counting and recording every single occurance (i.e. per word rate). Neither will he be able to keep track, I imagine. In other words, I think it would be easier to keep tabs on this kind of work by charging an hourly rate, and just clock up how much time I use each time. Then each ti
... See more
It has been very useful to hear what others would do. Some comments:
- For updating/editing existing texts. If the client wants me to make some fairly minor changes every so often, I honestly cannot see myself counting and recording every single occurance (i.e. per word rate). Neither will he be able to keep track, I imagine. In other words, I think it would be easier to keep tabs on this kind of work by charging an hourly rate, and just clock up how much time I use each time. Then each time I hit an agreed number of hours, or on a monthly basis, send an invoice.

- For translating new texts. Here I see no reason why not to charge by the word. This client already received a slightly lower rate from me at the beginning because of the size of the job. I don't want to start charging full rate, but neither do I want to go any lower, so I think I'll leave that rate unchanged.

Does this sound reasonable for both parties?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to charge for updating a translated web site?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »