Behnam Koleili  Identity Verified
Iran
Local time: 07:16
Member (2004)
English to Farsi (Persian)
+ ...
Feb 9, 2006

Hi,

Today I was contacted by a new agency asking me if I was ready to take on a job. As usual I checked the LWA for them and as I saw it was really low (2.3 for the past twelve months!) I honestly advised that due to their low LWA, I was ready to take on the job, only if they were willing to pay upfront. This is a part of the inetersting reply I got from them, rejecting my condition!

"...LWA? Let me sincerely laugh about it: Yes we know this on proz.com and you can see our replies as well. Since we have this trouble with extremely poor contributors from proz.com (amazing to see that 90% are not at all professionals) we do not wish to work with people registered with proz. Please note that we have paid everyone except a single one due to legal matters and are still doing out of thousands of contributors and thousands of invoices a year. LWA? it's a good joke indeed!..."

Intersting, right?!!

Behnam Koleili

Direct link Reply with quote

Will Matter  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:46
English
+ ...
My advice Feb 9, 2006

My advice to you is: Don't work with or for anyone who isn't willing to work with us, there's probably a really good reason why our well-known and well-respected professionalism is unacceptable to them. Don't waste your time or talent. Will.

Iran
Member (2004)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Will Feb 9, 2006

I NEVER EVER work with such agencies! Just wanted to share...

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:46
English to German
+ ...
Everyone is free to interpret BB entries Feb 9, 2006

Hi Behnam,
Thanks for sharing that reaction (and thanks in particular for not identifying that outsourcer in the forum).

Of course everyone is free to interpret the content of BB records as they see fit - the good news is that some outsourcers appreciate the BB platform and actively work on preserving their good reputation. (I count myself among that group, BTW...)

Best regards,
Ralf

Iran
Member (2004)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
BB is really helpful! Feb 9, 2006

Thanks Ralf. I use BB quite a lot and have found it very useful. In fact most of the time it has helped me stay away from non-payers! I have seen many professional agencies who proudly quote their high LWA on proz.com BB and think there is a good reason why just SOME agencies try to attack BB and professional translators!

Aleksandra Kwasnik  Identity Verified
Polish to German
+ ...
Pricing-Motto Feb 9, 2006

Hello Behnam,
I like the pricing-"motto" on your profile page very much:
"Reasonable prices are accepted."

It's good to realize from time to time that there would be no translation agencies without us, isn't it...

A.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
The fact that you are involved with ProZ Feb 9, 2006

"...LWA? Let me sincerely laugh about it: Yes we know this on proz.com and you can see our replies as well. Since we have this trouble with extremely poor contributors from proz.com "

bodes ill for you: you are yet another unprofessional kinky ProZ character who - by the record - does not stand a chance to be among the happy thousands getting paid for their work.

So don't even think of getting involved. A brilliant example of LWA at work, by the way.

Regards

Vito

Iran
Member (2004)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aleksandra & Vito Feb 9, 2006

Dear Aleksandra, you are 100% right! There would be no translation agencies without translators, yet some agencies tend to forget it! So we definitely deserve being paid reasonably!

Dear Vito, thanks for your comment! I am so happy to be among Prozians although I loose the golden opportunity of having another wonderful client due to my unprofessionalism!!

Warm regards,
Behnam

Peter Bouillon  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
This attitude won't get them far Feb 10, 2006

Behnam Koleili wrote:
"Since we have this trouble with extremely poor contributors from proz.com (amazing to see that 90% are not at all professionals) we do not wish to work with people registered with proz."

I like their undauntable, upbeat mindset, seeing the positive side of anything bad happening to them (such as a low average LWA from several different linguists) .

But I don't think their attitude will get them far. Let's take their word for what they say about the situation. So there are millions of linguists out there, but somehow they happened on all the bad ones within the last year. This just might be evidence of poor judgement on their part, mightn't it?

And now YOU are the next on the list of translators they contact! What a compliment to get!

You can read up in the Blueboard on what they are going to say about YOUR work, if you decide to take up their jobs.

P.

[Edited at 2006-02-10 10:52]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What is LWA? Feb 10, 2006

Behnam Koleili wrote:
As usual I checked the LWA for them and as I saw it was really low...

I assume LWA is some kind of PP score... yes?

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
LWA = likelihood of working again Feb 10, 2006

Hi Samuel,

Quoting from the new ProZ.com site glossary (note that a similar explanation is contained in the BB FAQ:

Blue Board LWA - Likelihood of Working Again (with a given outsourcer.) A number from 1 to 5 that refers to the numerical portion of an entry, with 1 being the least likely and 5 being the most likely.

I assume LWA is some kind of PP score... yes?

More than that. Of course, the LWA includes an opinion on payment practices, but the Blue Board is not limited to that.

Best regards,
Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interesting client's approach towards LWA

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs