https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/42486-watch_out_for_new_identity_theft_scam.html

Watch out for new identity theft scam
Thread poster: Rafa Lombardino
Rafa Lombardino
Rafa Lombardino
United States
Local time: 15:08
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Feb 10, 2006

Here is a new twist that scammers are using to commit identity theft:
the jury duty scam.

According to the San Diego Better Business Bureau, here's how it works:
The scammer claims to work for the local court system and accuses the victim of failing to report for jury duty. Then, the scammer tells the victim that a warrant has been issued for their arrest.

When the victim correctly replies they never received the jury duty notification, the scammer
... See more
Here is a new twist that scammers are using to commit identity theft:
the jury duty scam.

According to the San Diego Better Business Bureau, here's how it works:
The scammer claims to work for the local court system and accuses the victim of failing to report for jury duty. Then, the scammer tells the victim that a warrant has been issued for their arrest.

When the victim correctly replies they never received the jury duty notification, the scammer will ask for personal information for "verification purposes," such as Social Security numbers, birth date, bank-account numbers and credit-card numbers -- everything the scammer needs to steal someone's identity.

So far, this scam has been reported in Michigan, Ohio, Texas, Arizona, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Oregon and Washington state.

It's easy to see why this scam works: The victim, caught off guard, is understandably upset at the possibility of being arrested and less likely to be vigilant about protecting their confidential information.

The truth is that court workers will never call someone to obtain their Social Security numbers and other private information. Most of the time, the courts will follow-up with snail mail and rarely, if ever, make phone calls to prospective jurors.

Please visit www.sandiego.bbb.org to view additional tips, scam alerts and warnings.
Collapse

RINA LINGUISTIC SERVICES, Katarina Radojevic- Mitrovic
RINA LINGUISTIC SERVICES, Katarina Radojevic- Mitrovic  Identity Verified
Serbia
Local time: 00:08
English to Serbian
+ ...
Thanks a lot! Feb 10, 2006

Thanks a lot for this information. It is quite a bit useful.
Unfortunately, this is not the situation in the USA only!

We should all be aware of this fact!

Cheers!

Rina

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
there must be a million scams around... Feb 10, 2006

But I think I've spotted another one in the UK.

Tonight, at 8:20 PM someone rang asking for my husband saying it was from the Tax Credits office (number withheld). When he answered, this person asked him for his date of birth; my husband asked why they'd want that information and he was told for verification purposes.
My husband immediately hung up and they didn't ring again.

If YOU ring them (them = credit
... See more
But I think I've spotted another one in the UK.

Tonight, at 8:20 PM someone rang asking for my husband saying it was from the Tax Credits office (number withheld). When he answered, this person asked him for his date of birth; my husband asked why they'd want that information and he was told for verification purposes.
My husband immediately hung up and they didn't ring again.

If YOU ring them (them = credit cards, social security, tax office, insurance, etc), it's understandable that they will need to verify who is calling, but if THEY ring you, there's nothing to verify. Don't give any details, names or any info to anyone ringing you
Stay safe,
Grace.
Collapse

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:08
French to English
That's very sound advice Feb 11, 2006

Graciela Carlyle wrote:

If YOU ring them (them = credit cards, social security, tax office, insurance, etc), it's understandable that they will need to verify who is calling, but if THEY ring you, there's nothing to verify. Don't give any details, names or any info to anyone ringing you

I've actually stopped giving 'them' (:-)) my phone number. In some 20 years of adult (!) life, I've never once been called by my bank, insurance company, the inland revenue or anyone like that. So when I moved recently, I just didn't give them a phone number. They appear to be able to cope. They invariably write. It also means that I will hopefully be able to tell if someone's pulling a fast one by pretending to be from one those organisations.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Watch out for new identity theft scam

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »