Mobile menu

How much to charge for interpreting (direct client)
Thread poster: JASO
JASO
United States
Local time: 22:10
English to Spanish
Jul 30, 2002

I have done medical site interpreting for a company in Florida (USA) they payme 25.00 per hour plus mileage. Now I am in the case of been without a middle man, and this other company from Georgia is asking me how much for a job in the fields of immigration. I dont know cause I had never done it directly, can soemone tell me about how much should I charge, or what\'s the customary fee?

Thank You,

JASO (CA)

Direct link Reply with quote

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:10
Dutch to English
+ ...
Interpreting price Jul 30, 2002

Hi Jaso,

Generally agencies charge between 30 and 50% more than you get so I would put 30% on top.

Good luck!

Marijke

Massimo Gaido  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:10
English to Italian
+ ...
It depends....... Jul 30, 2002

I guess it depends on what state you are, and on the languages involved. Supply and demand rules...... However, I believe you should get at leat $30.00\\35.00\\hr., minimum 3 hours, plus around $20.00\\hr. for travel (For SPEN). This is what usually agencies pay in the US...if you have a direct client, you should charge at least $50.00\\hr., plus travel (same as above, or a little more).

I live in Chicago and I know several Spanish interpreters here....none of them would work for $25.00\\hr. even with an agency.

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 01:10
SITE FOUNDER
money topics in money matters Jul 31, 2002

Postings like this belong in \"money matters\"

Thanks.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much to charge for interpreting (direct client)

Advanced search

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs