Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:17
Flemish to English
+ ...
Feb 23, 2006

From a utility bill :

Don't forget to pay on time.
Give preference to a monthly payment order. For a reminder, we will charge you x €/£/$.
Would this be feasible/applicable for translation-invoices?

[Edited at 2006-02-23 10:05]

Clare Barnes
Clare Barnes  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 06:17
Swedish to English
+ ...
reminder fee Feb 23, 2006

I don't think it's inappropriate to add that you will charge a penalty fee if you need to send a reminder - I have a note on all my invoices saying that I'll do so and how much I'll charge (as well as a specified date for when payment is due). Whether it encourages people to pay on time or not I don't know...

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 00:17
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Do you enforce it? Feb 23, 2006

Do you enforce this? You would know if it works...

Nancy

Clare Barnes
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
I think I'm lucky... Feb 23, 2006

99.9% of my clients pay up on time - so maybe that means it does work (I've never had a payment delayed for any longer than a month). I don't think the actual amount of penalty fee is what makes people pay on time, rather the obvious pointer to them that I will notice and get on to them if they don't.

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:17
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Any automatic reminders to notice a non-paid invoice? Feb 23, 2006

Dear Clare,
Please tell me if you have an easy way (i.e. some type of automatic reminder maybe?) to notice a non-paid invoice, without going back and checking all of them?
Many thanks,
Monika

Clare Barnes wrote:

99.9% of my clients pay up on time - so maybe that means it does work (I've never had a payment delayed for any longer than a month). I don't think the actual amount of penalty fee is what makes people pay on time, rather the obvious pointer to them that I will notice and get on to them if they don't.

Clare Barnes
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
All manual... Feb 23, 2006

Hi Monica!
It's all manual - I print out my invoices and put them in a folder with the most recently sent ones at the back. That way the ones that are due next are nearest the top. When an invoice is paid I move it over into another section of the folder that's for "paid invoices". Basically, I can see the date when an invoice should have been paid as soon as I open the folder and can see if it's passed or not - if it has then perhaps it's time to check with the customer and see whether t
... See more
Hi Monica!
It's all manual - I print out my invoices and put them in a folder with the most recently sent ones at the back. That way the ones that are due next are nearest the top. When an invoice is paid I move it over into another section of the folder that's for "paid invoices". Basically, I can see the date when an invoice should have been paid as soon as I open the folder and can see if it's passed or not - if it has then perhaps it's time to check with the customer and see whether the money is on its way...

I'm a bit old fashioned - I like to have my records on paper as well as on the computer. I just find it easier to keep a check on things that way. I should also say that I don't send loads of invoices every month (probably 10-15) - I have a fair amount of middling size jobs - so that might also make things easier!

/Clare
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

From a utility bill....

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »