Thread poster: Rafa Lombardino

Rafa Lombardino
United States
Local time: 14:16
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Aug 2, 2002

I really don\'t know how much of you work for fun. I have to tell you that I don\'t. And, being a \'citizen\' of this country called Proz.com, I\'d like to tell you that I got into what we call a \"roubada\" in Portuguese (that is, more than problems...).

In March, I accepted a job offer posted at this same translation community to translate the book Harvest of Gems into Brazilian Portuguese. I was thrilled since I always wanted to translate novels. I set the prize, was chosen for the job and received the files via e-mail.

I really learned a lot from it. It\'s a good book and the \"translation project\", according to the author Michael Finberg, would be paid with the money that was made in the Asian market, where the Chinese translation of his Buddhist book was very well received and profitable.

For two months (while I translated this book and the story \"Little Monk\"), I really felt lucky. A good project, a good book. The money would be paid as soon as the Portuguese editor finished reviewing my final version. I sent out this final version to the editor in May and I haven\'t seen a penny of the payment yet.

So, I\'m opening this discution space not only to discuss how many people are so disrespectful of our work, our profession, but also to warn you that this \"Buddhist translation project\" seems to be bogus -- at least for financial matters. I don\'t believe he has posted any other jobs in here and probably he never will, but I would like you to resist this \"tempting offer\" and say no to Mr. Finberg.

I\'d like to use this space also to ask you more experience professionals about your personal experiences. Have you ever been in such a situation? What advise would you give to this young girl who has been working since she was 16, trying to put money together to pay for college and that now, one semester away from graduation day has only a little amount to finish paying for her studies? Should I give up this life of honest work? Am I turning into a disappointed nihilist or something? Do I sound too old, cranky and whiner about it?

Thank you in advance for your comments and sorry for any mistypings... I\'m really nervous after receiving a very insulting message from Mr. Finberg.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-03 05:15 ]

Direct link Reply with quote

Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 23:16
German to Romanian
+ ...
You should have charged part of the job in advance Aug 3, 2002

There have been several discussions regarding large jobs. People usually get partial payments (e.g. 25 %, 25% and then 50% when it\'s ready). This way you can hardly work for nothing, or at least if you do, you will not work so much without being paid, since if they are going to default the payment, you will know from the very beginning.

Rafa Lombardino
United States
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
great tip Aug 3, 2002

Thanks Elvira. Unfortunately, I have to learn that you can\'t have a deal only based in the other person\'s words. Before this sad episode started, I was a little afraid of demanding such deals as the one you proposed and losing a job opportunity. But, then, look at my situation: job done, no money and lots of stress... Is it really worthy? No! )

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Use the Blue Board or payment lists Aug 3, 2002

Hi.

I can understand your frustration about the situation you find yourself left with. That said, please use the \"Agency Blue Board\" for any comments regarding payment practices etc. On the same page you will also find links to two payment practices lists where you can exchange information. The forum is not the right place... note that I refer to your comments about a certain agent only, not to your whole post.

Rafa Lombardino
United States
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Ralf Aug 3, 2002

I think it would be more efficient to use the Agency Blue Board and spred the news to other professionals that might be tempted by an offer such as the one I\'ve accepted. The problem is that, right now, I can\'t do it \'cause I\'m not yet a Platinum member. I\'ve been trying to save some money in order to buy the membership, but as I\'ve already said I\'m finishing college this year and the expenses are huge right now. As soon as I get the Platinum status (I hope it won\'t take too long), I\'ll post information about this author Mr. Michael Finberg and the publishing house Market Books, from São Paulo. All I want to do is tell other professionals that these two clients are not reliable.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Everyone can use the Blue Board... Aug 4, 2002

...but non-Platinum members need to use 50 BrowniZ to look at the details of a specific agency.

Check FAQ#10.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Money matters

Advanced search

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs