Marcelo González
Marcelo González  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:56
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 27, 2006

I may be in a position to negotiate a (newly created) position as an in-house linguist with a fortune 500 company (in the US). I wonder what salaries might be for an in-house linguist (translating, proofreading/editing and possibly foreign language teaching for company executives) in such an environment.

If anyone has had experience negotiating such contracts, or has heard of others working in such a capacity, I'd appreciate your insight.

I would like to think that su
... See more
I may be in a position to negotiate a (newly created) position as an in-house linguist with a fortune 500 company (in the US). I wonder what salaries might be for an in-house linguist (translating, proofreading/editing and possibly foreign language teaching for company executives) in such an environment.

If anyone has had experience negotiating such contracts, or has heard of others working in such a capacity, I'd appreciate your insight.

I would like to think that such a position would be worth more than (just) $30-$40K (especially in a fortune 500 company). Then again, I may be wrong.

Marcelo
Collapse

Steven Sidore
Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:56
German to English
Where? Feb 27, 2006

Salary will reflect the location. 30-40k would be low in New York for the position you describe, but maybe just fine in Albuquerque

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:56
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Check with this website Feb 27, 2006

http://www.top-usa-jobs.com/documents/top_usa_jobs.php

Good luck,
Monika

Marcelo González
United States
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
potentially anywhere; the company will being going international Feb 27, 2006

Steven Sidore wrote:

Salary will reflect the location. 30-40k would be low in New York for the position you describe, but maybe just fine in Albuquerque

Since the company plans to have overseas offices/subsidiaries, the position could anywhere in the US, or somewhere in Latin America (in the not-so-distant future); thus, I'm interested in negotiating terms that might be appropriate regardless of location.

As for $30-40K, I was kind of hoping that such a potentially important position (in a company whose products will be reaching new markets) might be worth more than what one might earn as a teacher (in any major city in the US).

Thanks for your response!

[Edited at 2006-02-27 23:17]

Marcelo González
United States
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
might not be a "top job" Feb 27, 2006

Since such an in-house position may not be very common, it's not surprising there isn't much information available on a website such as the one you've recommended, which might be more useful when researching other types of jobs.

What might be good to know, to establish some sort of baseline, would be the salary of in-house positions in translation agencies (or in companies that are not "fortune 500").

Thanks for your help!

Harry Hermawan
Harry Hermawan  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 03:56
English to Indonesian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Try comparing with other industry Feb 28, 2006

marceloabq wrote:

I would like to think that such a position would be worth more than (just) $30-$40K (especially in a fortune 500 company). Then again, I may be wrong.

Marcelo

I wouldn't say it in numbers but I would concentrate on the work location (cost of living, tax, work permit, insurance, etc.). And then there's the company's pay scale. If it's a Fortune 500, then there sure must have a rigid or at least a 'standardized' range.

Better find out the 'best practice' at that company and also try comparing the range with different industries if you can get that. Sometimes it might work. Or better still get more info from the contact person in the company before finalizing things as you would be working for them you might as well get 'well informed' data.

Good luck.

[Edited at 2006-02-28 06:51]

Marcelo González
United States
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
benefits are important; precisely one of my points Feb 28, 2006

Without a doubt benefits are important, which is precisely one of the things I would like to negotiate (if the opportunity presents itself).

Looking at other fields might be a good idea, if comparisons could made between a "linguist" (in this case, a translator, proofreader and foreign language teacher) and a professional in another area with an equally varied job description (i.e., number of "hats"), and years of both academic preparation and
... See more

Without a doubt benefits are important, which is precisely one of the things I would like to negotiate (if the opportunity presents itself).

Looking at other fields might be a good idea, if comparisons could made between a "linguist" (in this case, a translator, proofreader and foreign language teacher) and a professional in another area with an equally varied job description (i.e., number of "hats"), and years of both academic preparation and experience.

If graduates with an MBA can command (sometimes) nice salaries (much higher than $30-40K) with benefits, why not an MA (especially if his work as a translator opens new markets for company products and services)?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

In-House Compensation at Fortune 500 Companies

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »