Alicja Weikop  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:32
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
Mar 6, 2006

Hi,

the question is rather trivial but things often seem difficult when you do them for the first time

I am just about to issue a final invoice for a translation. I have already received a prepayment for it (but without issuing a proforma invoice).

How shall I present on my final invoice the total amount as opposed to what is remaining to be paid (total - prepayment)?

Shall I put the total amount in the Total box and just say in the invoice that prepayment was received and what remains to be paid as a commentary?

This seems like the reasonable thing to do.

Also, I am charging in GBP but prepayment was in USD - shall I do my own conversions and turn it all into GBP? The customer agreed a GBP rate so I would prefer to use GBP.

Many thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:32
English to French
+ ...
Invoice layout Mar 6, 2006

Hi,

Personally, I would add two lines to my usual invoice layout after the total. It depends on how you usually write your invoices. As for conversion, I'd use the rate applied by your bank when the payment came in - I guess you can ask them for it or see it on your account - and mention both amounts in my invoice like this:

TOTAL : GBP xxx
Prepayment: USD xxx = GBP yyy
Balance : GBP xxx-yyy

HTH
Marie-Céline

Alicja Weikop  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:32
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 6, 2006

Thank you. That sounds like good advice.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Final invoice layout and prepayment

Advanced search

Translation news

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs