Thread poster: Julie FOLTZ
Julie FOLTZ
Julie FOLTZ
France
Local time: 09:42
English to French
+ ...
Mar 10, 2006

I have received a job offer and the client is asking my rate for editing.
The problem is: I really have no idea what I should charge.
Thanks for your advice !!!

Rosa Enciso
Rosa Enciso  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
La moitié du prix de la traduction Mar 10, 2006

Bonjour, Julie.
Ce sujet a été discuté ici dernièrement. La plupart des traducteurs ont répondu qu'ils facturent la moitié du prix de la traductions, quoique personnellement je doute que tous les clients soient disposés à payer ce prix. Mais on peut toujours essayer...

Hester Eymers
Hester Eymers  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2005)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Hourly rate Mar 10, 2006

When I am asked to edit a text, whether it's a translation or not, I ask an hourly rate. You can either agree to a certain sum beforehand, and limit the amount of time you spend on the job accordingly, or start working on it and give an estimated price as soon as you can judge how much work it will be.

Good luck!

df49f (X)
df49f (X)
France
% of translation rate or hourly rate Mar 10, 2006

I charge from one third to 100% of my normal translation word rate (i.e. 18 eurocents on average) - depending on the extent of the editing needs (a disastrously bad text needing retranslating will be 100%). And that's what I tell the client, i.e. "it all depends on the quality of the translated document".
Or by the hour, i.e. 75 euro/hour for direct clients, 40 € for agencies
and for good loyal clients: whatever is less.
(PS: I work and live and pay taxes in France - % applie
... See more
I charge from one third to 100% of my normal translation word rate (i.e. 18 eurocents on average) - depending on the extent of the editing needs (a disastrously bad text needing retranslating will be 100%). And that's what I tell the client, i.e. "it all depends on the quality of the translated document".
Or by the hour, i.e. 75 euro/hour for direct clients, 40 € for agencies
and for good loyal clients: whatever is less.
(PS: I work and live and pay taxes in France - % applies to both agencies and direct clients - good editors need to be more experienced and skilled even than translators and clients should be made aware of the fact, and editors should not sell themselves short
PPS: no beginner and no bad translator will ever be good editors).
cordialement - df
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What should be charged for editing ?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »