Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 04:29
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Mar 14, 2006

I happened to read a recent job-offer, offering 125 USD for a list of 2500 words with terminology for a user guide (subject not specified). First bidder is promised the job.

What do you think about outsourcers that think terminology is easier than normal text? Just fill in the right column with words from the online dictionary...

Regards
Heinrich

[Edited at 2006-03-14 08:03]

Direct link Reply with quote

telefpro
Local time: 06:59
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Due to competiiton Mar 14, 2006

This whole thing happens due to intense competition. You have to live with the competiiton and competence.

tinageta  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:29
English to Latvian
+ ...
Everyone will be happy Mar 14, 2006

Chances are that the outsourcer will get a wonderful, accurate and flawless glossary. Then he probably will hire another very competitive translator (for 0.03 USD per word), who won't even question the glossary entries. The result will be just gorgeous! The end client will be happy, and particularly happy will be the end user, the one reading and enjoying the mentioned result.

Irina Romanova-Wasike
Russian Federation
English to Russian
and the chances are biiiiiig... Mar 14, 2006

tinageta wrote:

Chances are that the outsourcer will get a wonderful, accurate and flawless glossary. Then he probably will hire another very competitive translator (for 0.03 USD per word), who won't even question the glossary entries. The result will be just gorgeous! The end client will be happy, and particularly happy will be the end user, the one reading and enjoying the mentioned result.

I really pity the end user....

Konstantinos Karanikas B.Sc. Electr. Eng., MITI
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
The translator would most definitely not feel happy, more like cheated, I would say! Mar 14, 2006

The facts:

Usual production rate = 250 words/h
Total number of hours needed = 2500/250 = 10 h

The file would most probably be in Excel form, which is the worst way to work with a text.

No continuous text, the risk of getting sth wrong is high, hence the need for continuous feedback from the client, which is time consuming, in any case. Therefore, more time is devoted to the project.

You know beforehand that you are not going to get the project, why should you do it in the first place, then?

What's the purpose of putting such effort to a job for such a small amount of money? It's not the money of course!

If you undertake more expensive jobs, you can afford to sit back in your chair and pick the projects you want to work on! Create free time you can afford, in other words!

It's the old story again, cheap labour simply means high competition! Get rid of it!

If you can move on to a more specialized field, competition drops dramatically and you become the master of yourself, the decision maker, don't you?

How can you move to such a field? Simply by specializing and undertaking only projects which are associated with a second skill (e.g. I have been an Electronics Engineer and a qualified English language teacher for foreigners for 26 years).

Refuse cheap work! What's the worst that can happen to you? Lose 10 cheap projects? If you get 1 expensive project everything is counterbalanced and at a fraction of your time! Time is money, and it is in your best interest to try and invest by looking for serious employers! Proz only lists more than 6500 agencies!

And another thing, keep bettering your services and get proof of that from an independent organization, in other words take exams, become a qualified member of international translation organizations (e.g. ITI, ISTC, ATA, etc.). This is the only way I know of that has helped me maintain the edge in my negotiations with prospective clients. Project managers attend seminars on how to deal with you (the translator) all the time. Shouldn't we stay ahead of them?

That's the only way to do it! It is not easy, it takes a lot of time, but in the end the decision rests with the translator.

Professionals should stop selling cheap work! How many times should we point this out! It is a dead end according to the economic theory, if you get stuck in this vortex sucking everybody and everything in it (4th quadrant, remember?), it will be the end of you, (I have been there, I know it first-hand!).

Note: 1) By "you" I mean everybody concerned! )
2) At 50 next month, I am getting too old for this game, I am afraid, but also too thick-skinned to be chewed to pieces!

Thank you very much for your question, Heinrich!

[Edited at 2006-03-14 12:13]

Wouter van Kampen
Thailand
Local time: 08:29
Danish to Dutch
+ ...
Yes.... competition between agencies Mar 14, 2006

Dear Mr/Ms Telefpro

On several occasions I have received invitations from 3 to 4 agencies to submit a quote for the very same project. All of them were looking for the lowest bid.

What you will achieve with your strategy is getting "translators" involved that are desperate for a job. Did you ever wonder why such "translators" are desperate?

telefpro wrote:

This whole thing happens due to intense competition. You have to live with the competiiton and competence.

telefpro
Local time: 06:59
Portuguese to English
+ ...
It is an occupational hazard Mar 14, 2006

titi-at-home wrote:

Dear Mr/Ms Telefpro

On several occasions I have received invitations from 3 to 4 agencies to submit a quote for the very same project. All of them were looking for the lowest bid.

What you will achieve with your strategy is getting "translators" involved that are desperate for a job. Did you ever wonder why such "translators" are desperate?

telefpro wrote:

Dear Friend,

Doctors, engineers, lawyers, market analysts and other professionals are not avalable at the click of a mouse in one place.( potential translators or potential hazard?) But, we are a better lot - we answer Kudoz questions ( we are much more generous and display greater fellowship, in return we earn points). So let us be happy and let the competion not intimidate us.

liora  Identity Verified
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
single word translations Mar 14, 2006

The single word translations are very difficult and also unfair.
For example, supposing I had to translate the first sentence in this text, and did not know the word "translations". I would still have it in context and be able to understand its meaning. I would also be paid for the common recurrent letters I dont have to translate, i.e. "the", "are" "and" "also" "very", so I would be paid fairly and properly.

Moreover: such single word translations go to CAT softwares, imo, or into Trados and Wordfast and \ or similar software devices, and they will be used over and over umpteen times without payment, of course.

And last but not least - these cause a degradation of cognitive skills and awareness in the majority in populations that've stop reading books and mostly read subtitles, captions, and computer organized data (i.e. anything on a computer screen).

To sum up' this kind of progress cannot be stopped. However, parents who mind should find the means to persuade their children to read pre-computer works, and also place great importance on composition writing. Even *pay* the children if they dont want to. Because speech is an innate human capability and using its affects the development of the brain and its synapses. The next generations are going to look like us but they wont *be* like us, their brains wont be.

Liora

E.LA
Spanish to German
+ ...
never for this price Mar 14, 2006

I once got a similar offer: to translate specific terms in Excel for 0,05 Euro per word.
I simply wrote MY price for this work.

I got three more letters from the agency - trying to get me cheaper... seems they were desperated but well, they must decide: or they take my price and have inmediately a translator or they have to spend time (what means money) in searching somebody else.

In fact, that is not a nice job and it has its price. I am not thinking about competition. I do my job, not importing what others do.

Sometimes I get a nice text for a low price and I accept because of enjoying this work.

BUT: This matter of prices is discussed often. I think we should be more consequent. If nobody accept such a price for such a work, people will end of trying to offer these low prices.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ONLY terminology needed!

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs