converting rates from per-word to per-line
Thread poster: Marijke Singer

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:49
Dutch to English
+ ...
Aug 7, 2002

An agency has asked me to quote per line but I have never done this before. I have to fill in a form with the following field:

Per-Line Rate in Euro (55 characters if not specified otherwise)

I usually charge between 8 and 15 euro cents per word. Could someone tell me what this would be per line. Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

OlafK
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
Look at an old project Aug 8, 2002

I guess you charge per source language word. Per line prices are usually based on the target language text. At least that\'s what I do. Just look at a text you have translated, count the characters of the translation, divide by 55, then check what you charged for that translation, divide that price by the number of lines and Bob\'s your uncle.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:49
English to German
+ ...
Analyse the text Aug 8, 2002

Use Trados to analyse the source text - this will give you the average number of characters per word: this will allow you to convert your per-word rate into an approximate line charge. Per-line charges usually include spaces, so don\'t forget these (the number of characters shown in the Trados analysis log does not include spaces).

Example:

Your analysis shows 2,500 words @ 6.15 characters:

(2,500 words x 6.15 + 2,500) / 55 = 325 lines

Note that adding 2,500 includes the spaces.

One thing you will have to estimate is the change in text volume between source and target. When estimating the number of lines for EN>DE, for example, I generally use a factor of 1.2 allowing for the longer German text.

xxxtazdog
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
it's come up before Aug 8, 2002

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&eid_c=15969&post=8683#8683

There\'s a good discussion in this old thread.

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Charging per line Aug 8, 2002

Dear Olaf, Ralf and Cindy,

Thanks for your help. I had looked in the forums because I remembered seeing something about this but couldn\'t find it.

Thanks again!

Marijke

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Search function Aug 8, 2002

Quote:

I had looked in the forums because I remembered seeing something about this but couldn\'t find it.

Did you try the \"Search\" function? I have found it quite helpful when trying to track down a forum thread.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

converting rates from per-word to per-line

Advanced search

Translation news

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs