Passport number
Thread poster: Piotr Wargan
Piotr Wargan
Piotr Wargan  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 21:39
Mar 22, 2006

Hello,

A company I am going to provide translation services for, would like me to send them my ID or passport number along with the necessary bank account details. I just wonder why they need ID or passport number to make a bank transfer?

Cheers,

Piotr

Derek Gill Franßen
Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Do they need my ID & passport number to pay me? Mar 22, 2006

No, they do not need it. I am paid by agencies all over the world and have never had to supply that kind of information (nor would I). Have you asked them?

...my two cents.

Piotr Wargan
Poland
TOPIC STARTER
very important two cents :-) Mar 22, 2006

Derek Gill Franßen wrote:

Have you asked them?

Not yet, but I will ask.

Thanks a lot,

Piotr

Aisling O'Callaghan
Aisling O'Callaghan
English to Irish
+ ...
I agree... Mar 22, 2006

I wouldn't provide any agency or company with my passport no. There is no reason whatsoever why they should require such detailed information. It never hurts to be too careful when dealing with private details of this kind

Cintia Pecellin
Cintia Pecellin  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
An agency asked me once... Mar 22, 2006

Apparently it was absolutely neccesary for them to make payment. . . After a simple phone call to clarify things, all they needed was my VAT number, but didn't know how to ask for it.

Good luck!
Zyntia.

Elena Pavan
Elena Pavan  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
French to Italian
+ ...
The same happened to me Mar 22, 2006

I had to fill in a form for a translation agency.
They asked for a passport number (maybe the same agency???), but I just filled with 0000000.
Actually, I've never heard from them; is that the reason?????

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Passport number Mar 22, 2006

You could ask them for the name and telephone number of the bank, then ask the bank why it needs the passport number.

If you don't get a satisfactory response, you can assume that this company is either incompetent or fraudulent. Don't work for them.

Marc

Piotr Wargan
Poland
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks! Mar 22, 2006

Thank you for sharing your views!

Could be that they need a VAT ID, but that I am only guessing. I have asked them by mail about the reasons.

Have a nice day everybody!

Piotr

Angel Biojo
Angel Biojo
United States
Local time: 12:39
English to Spanish
Passport Mar 22, 2006

Piotr Wargan wrote:

Hello,

A company I am going to provide translation services for, would like me to send them my ID or passport number along with the necessary bank account details. I just wonder why they need ID or passport number to make a bank transfer?

Cheers,

Piotr

Hi Piotr,

Don't send them anything. They don't need that information to send work to you.

Angel

Daniele Martoglio
Daniele Martoglio  Identity Verified
Polish to Italian
+ ...
Wrong data... Mar 22, 2006

Piotr, it's surely an error. They don't need your passport number to pay you. To transfer money to your account, they simply need the number your shoes size, and the age of your first kiss. The other data are not important.

Daniele

Abdellatif Bouhid
Abdellatif Bouhid  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:39
English to French
+ ...
No No! Mar 22, 2006

I can't think of any law that requires them to ask for that information. Translators seem to be targeted lately by all sort of scams. As far as banking information is concerned, a precautionary measure is to open an account dedicated only to receiving payments to you which you will promptly transfer to another account known only to you. If somebody tries to empty the first account (and banks do let that happen), the zero balance will protect you.

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 15:39
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
A different opinion Mar 23, 2006

Hi Piotr

In my country it works differently than in many others. We are registered by a single number for everything: passeport, any ID, driving licence, VAT number... It's so comfortable to everybody that you're foundable anywhere with only 8 numbers, that you are asked it anyway.
If I buy a TV and want them to deliver it at home, they ask my ID. If I call my Internet provider because I need Support, they ask my ID...
In my bank, if I want to transfer money electronical
... See more
Hi Piotr

In my country it works differently than in many others. We are registered by a single number for everything: passeport, any ID, driving licence, VAT number... It's so comfortable to everybody that you're foundable anywhere with only 8 numbers, that you are asked it anyway.
If I buy a TV and want them to deliver it at home, they ask my ID. If I call my Internet provider because I need Support, they ask my ID...
In my bank, if I want to transfer money electronically to another Chilean account I must use my ID and the beneficiary', so I have to ask for it. Otherwise, I can make a deposit at the bank.

I can hardly imagine what would anybody be able to do with a passport number, because if it was possible to do something, it would already happen here.

Claudia
Collapse

Henk Peelen
Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Funny Mar 23, 2006

Claudia Iglesias wrote:

In The Netherlands we do have a similar personal ID, beit less watertight. The postal code is very fine. Each street has its own postal code and so the combination of your postal code and house number rather is a good personal code. When you're the only resident of the house and you have been living there for a time, it's "perfect" ... as long as you don't mind that "Big Brother Is Watching You" idea behind it. So, whether you visit a doctor, make an online reservation for a holiday home, call the police or whatever, you're very often prompted to provide your house number and postal code, resulting in a full screen with your other data. Don't know about postoffice boxes.

Funny as well is the fact that strangers hardly ever understand our postal code, wheras most either don't understand that most (?) continental European countries write the house number behind the street name. So my address
Henk Peelen
Z Kooistraat 20
9871 PC Stroobos
(Friesland)
The Netherlands
(20 is the house number, whereas (NL-)9871 PC is the postal code) very often is garbled into everything imagenable, for instance
Henk Peelen
Z Kooistraat 20-9871
PC Stroobos
(Friesland)
The Netherlands
or
Henk Peelen
20 Z Kooistraat
Stroobos
Friesland NL-9871 PC
The Netherlands

Until now, I think all post have been arriving. I like that, because a niece of mine uses to collect stamps and the foreign ones are very beautifull.

[Edited at 2006-03-23 04:18]

Piotr Wargan
Poland
TOPIC STARTER
One number - this is a good idea! Mar 23, 2006

Claudia Iglesias wrote: We are registered by a single number for everything:

Hi Claudia,
I like the idea very much. In Poland we have several numbers for one person

To list just a few: PESEL (personal identification number; it is written in the passport and the personal ID card but each of these have their own numbers too - so together we have 3 here)

Then NIP - it is used to identify a person or a company for tax purposes.

Then REGON - this number is given to companies by our office of statistic (so I have one too).

Let me think.... Could this be all? Oh yes, now when we are an EC member we have a European VAT ID (the same as NIP but with PL in front).

It is annoying really to use them all.

I have seen a cartoon joke: a man is being interrogated and they are asking him: "Now, will you tell us who REGON, VAT and PESEL are ?"

Cheers,

Piotr

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Only if you're a foreign-national Mar 23, 2006

Piotr Wargan wrote:

They might need your passport number if you're working as a foreign-national in the country where you're working. In ZA, it is a requirement to supply one's ID number for invoicing purposes, but this depends on the country. I fail to see why I should provide my ID number for a company *outside* of ZA, though.

My suggestion is to ask them why they need it. Perhaps it is a legal requirement in their country to have it.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Passport number

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »