https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/44309-what_to_charge_for_tape_transcription.html

what to charge for tape transcription
Thread poster: linguadois
linguadois
linguadois
Local time: 11:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 27, 2006

I'm a Spanish interpreter and I had been asked by the local police department how much do I charge per hour to do a tape transcription/translation from Spanish into English. I declined because I have no clue as to how much to charge. Have you guys done this type of thing and if so what would be a reasonable charge? I was thinking to charge the same as my hourly rate for interpreting. Any ideas?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:23
English to German
+ ...
Please use the forum search Mar 27, 2006

Hi, Linguadois - welcome to the forum.

Transcription has been discussed numerous times (not sure if this fits what you're looking for) - please use the forum search function.

Best regards,
Ralf

linguadois
linguadois
Local time: 11:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 28, 2006

Thanks for your reply. I did search the forum and boy, am I glad I declined the job! I had no idea it would be so time consuming and I would probably have quoted a very low price.

[Edited at 2006-03-28 18:29]

Marisa Condurso de Nohara
Marisa Condurso de Nohara  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
I posted an inquiry Mar 29, 2006

linguadois wrote:

Thanks for your reply. I did search the forum and boy, am I glad I declined the job! I had no idea it would be so time consuming and I would probably have quoted a very low price.

[Edited at 2006-03-28 18:29]

Hi! Try this thread http://www.proz.com/post/284409#284409. I was right when I made so many questions, wasn't I? I am the one who started asking innocently "per hour or per minute running". And when I tested myself. Mi Dios! I found I was like a turtle. And I'm suppossed to be an interpreter, too
Beware who long it takes you! That's the question when stating a fee, and then find that you have problems either with the speaker's pronounciation, the utility you use to speed up transcription, or the likes. I did acquire the software somebody suggested for free, but so far I have not been able to see if it works for me. Suerte
McN

[Edited at 2006-03-29 22:37]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

what to charge for tape transcription

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »