Interpreting rates
Thread poster: Julie BEILLE - FOLTZ
Julie BEILLE - FOLTZ
France
Local time: 15:46
English to French
+ ...
Apr 14, 2006

I wanted to know what to charge for an interpreting day. I explain I would have to go with a business man and translate for different meetings, including the preparation as I don't know yet the field of the company. So I would like to get a price range.
Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Ilaria Gigli  Identity Verified
French to Italian
+ ...
Reply from an interpreter Apr 14, 2006

Hello,

My name is Ilaria Gigli and I have been working as an interpreter and a translator for 5 years. Concerning interpreting rates, the rate per day depends on a lot of factors. Is is a conference or a simple meeting where you should translate for a group of people? If it is so, the rate could be something like 150 eur per day. If it is a conference and you should work as a consecutive interpreter or simoultaneus translator, you could ask more, let's say 250 or 300 per day.

Try to suggest high prices, and do not hesitate to get them lower, if you see that your client is a bit upset by your rates. Do not go under 200 if it is a conference or under 100 if it is a simple meeting.

Good luck

Ilaria

xxxEmmanuelleAn  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Interpreting rates Apr 14, 2006

The price for simultaneous interpreting is generally
500 EUR/day (300 euro half day) if you are working through a translation agency. For consecutive, the fee is usually 400 EUR/day (250 half day)(agency). If you are to work after 6 pm, there will obviously be additional fees.
It looks like you're gonna do some consec'. If it is 'real consec' you're gonna do -i.e. 12'speech and then translation-you can charge more. .

English to French
+ ...
Attention Apr 14, 2006

Appliquez les tarifs généralement en vigueur en France sinon ce n'est pas très "fair" pour vos collègues interprètes français. Je vous ai donné les tarifs qui sont généralement appliqués sur le marché français. Il est vrai que certains pays -comme l'Italie et l'Espagne- ont des tarifs nettement plus bas en partie à cause du niveau des charges (URSSAF etc) souvent plus élevé en France lorsque l'on travaille en indépendant. En proposant un tarif de 200-300 euros pour une interprétation de conférence, vous n'estimez pas un travail d'interprète free lance -sur le marché français- à sa juste valeur.
Je suis peut être un peu "directe" mais je sais de quoi je parle.

English to French
+ ...
Encore moi Apr 14, 2006

150 pour une journée d'interprétation professionnelle c'est impensable!!

Sur ce bonne chance! Sorry for being a bit blunt...

xxxdf49f
France
????? Apr 14, 2006

Ilaria Gigli wrote:
... the rate could be something like 150 eur per day. If it is a conference and you should work as a consecutive interpreter or simoultaneus translator, you could ask more, let's say 250 or 300 per day.

Try to suggest high prices, and do not hesitate to get them lower, if you see that your client is a bit upset by your rates. Do not go under 200 if it is a conference or under 100 if it is a simple meeting.

In France, 150 euro/day would be simply ridiculous and insulting- only amateurs (teachers and students) would ever accept such dumping rates... and ditto with 250/300 for consecutive.
Plus there should be no such thing as "half-day" rates if you are a real professional. Though agencies try to offer it, (real) interpreters should absolutely refuse.
Consecutive is paid more than simultaneous. And lastly there really is no such thing as the so-called "liaison" since it always turns out to be consecutive, unless you're just acting as a "guide-interpreter", which is a different job.
Julie, contact me by e-mail if you want an idea of the range of real and fair rates charged by real interpreters in the French market (not reflected here in any of the posts).
df

Sara Freitas
France
French to English
Thank you, Dominique Apr 15, 2006

That's exactly what I was going to say!

As with past topics on rates, I don't really care if people want to charge 150 euros per day for interpreting or even do it for free. What bothers me is when people weigh in authoritatively telling others that 150, 500 or other prices are the "norm". I don't interpret myself, but I do sell interpreting services, and I can tell you that these rates do not reflect my personal experience.

Sara

[Edited at 2006-04-15 08:28]

[Edited at 2006-04-15 08:29]

English to French
+ ...
ok Apr 15, 2006

Sorry I was not willing to authoritatively impose a "norm" and Dominique, you' re right about the consec'

xxxdf49f
France
not usually... not generally... Apr 15, 2006

EmmanuelleAnn wrote:
The price for simultaneous interpreting is generally
500 EUR/day (300 euro half day) if you are working through a translation agency. For consecutive, the fee is usually 400 EUR/day (250 half day)(agency).

Fees for consecutive (agency) are NOT "usually" 400 euro/day" in France, but more like 600, and most certainly never any half-day rates, which no self-respecting professional interpreter would even think of considering... 500 euro for simultaneous/agencies is a rock-bottom rate unacceptable to many of us.
These figures are NOT the "general" or "usual" norm for skilled conference interpreters, and most certainly not "fair market value" fees in France.

Some recent personal examples:
- Yesterday: direct client, Paris, 2 1/2 hours, consecutive/chuchoté: 700 euros.
- Last month: agency, Paris, 3 hours, consecutive/chuchoté: 600 euros.
- Last week: direct client, Paris, 2 hours, finance, simultaneous: 650 (many colleagues charge more)
- 2 weeks ago: agency, Paris, 2 1/2 hours, finance, simultaneous: 570

Note: No fixed rates (illegal anyway), but a range of rates
regarded as fair, reasonable and acceptable in our domestic market, is what should be considered when entering the interpreting market.
Note 2: interpretation is like translation: there are different market segments (low price/low quality -> high price/high quality and any combination and everything in-between) and it is up to each one of us as freelancer to decide in which one we want to sell our skills (or lack of...) - just like real champagne and cheap mousseux target different market segments.

df

[Edited at 2006-04-15 18:41]

English to French
+ ...
Good luck Julie! Apr 15, 2006

I know the rates are not fixed and can vary significantly depending on various factors. It is also obviously higher if the client is direct.
I'll stop here. I think you have all the information that you need Julie. I wish you Bonne Chance and a "bon week end de Pâques"!

Julie BEILLE - FOLTZ
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Rates May 11, 2006

Hie and thanks for your answers

Nothing more to add except that my husband hired a man to come and dig holes with a mechanical digger or even to prune olive trees and he charges 350€ a day.
Thus no studies are needed.

Eleonore Wapler  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:46
Member (2010)
English to French
+ ...
Travel time May 17, 2013

Interesting discussion.

How do you charge traveling time for interpreting assignments?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreting rates

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs