Mobile menu

Suggestions on Charging
Thread poster: Chinmayi Sripada

Chinmayi Sripada
Local time: 19:53
English to German
+ ...
Apr 19, 2006

I have received an offer for 5000 pages for a web based application which consists of a lot of case studies and information related to dentistry and the help guide.

How much should I quote for this keeping the best interests of both the translators and the client?

Direct link Reply with quote

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:23
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Two million words? Apr 19, 2006

We can't give discounts for quantity, since we sell a service and not goods. Therefore a fair (and not exactly expensive) rate would be EUR 200,000, I guess. However, you need to work out how many months it takes and insist on being paid in monthly instalments.

Don't forget to allow time for the other work inbetween, so as not to lose the regular customers. I assume you will need an absolute minimum of 40 weeks for it.

Cintia Pecellin  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:23
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
Being an agency... Apr 19, 2006

If I'm not mistaken, you are an agency used to charge a per word rate, so why not do simple wordcount, or an estimate of the hours needed to translate the text, and then provide the client with a fair rate?

Also, I see that, in most cases, you charge according to the target language's wordcount (however fair/unfair that might appear to some) and that can prove to be difficult to estimate beforehand this time, due to the large size of the project.

Good luck,

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestions on Charging

Advanced search

Translation news PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs