Thread poster: Klaus Urban
Klaus Urban
Klaus Urban  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:27
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
Apr 20, 2006

I need to calculate the translation of a Powerpoint Presentation not knowing whether
- only the charts themselves
- or also the notes
need to be translated.
I want to base my calculation on the word count of either.
How can I do the word count for
a) the charts only
b) charts plus notes?

LaTecniK
LaTecniK
Venezuela
Local time: 05:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
One option Apr 20, 2006

From PPT´s help:

Count words in a presentation
Microsoft PowerPoint can count the number of words that are in a presentation and report how many slides, paragraphs, bytes, notes, hidden slides, and multimedia clips are in the presentation.

To view the number of words that are in your PowerPoint presentation, do the following:

On the File menu, click Properties.
Click the Statistics tab.
In the Statistics pane, find Words, and then view
... See more
From PPT´s help:

Count words in a presentation
Microsoft PowerPoint can count the number of words that are in a presentation and report how many slides, paragraphs, bytes, notes, hidden slides, and multimedia clips are in the presentation.

To view the number of words that are in your PowerPoint presentation, do the following:

On the File menu, click Properties.
Click the Statistics tab.
In the Statistics pane, find Words, and then view the number of words in the Value column.
Collapse

Klaus Urban
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, that is a great help! Apr 20, 2006

However, how do I dind out the split between charts and note pages?
I guess that the word count states includes note pages.
If only the charts need to be translated how do I find out the word count of the charts only?

Marisa Condurso de Nohara
Marisa Condurso de Nohara  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 06:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
Delete first slides, afterwards notes Apr 20, 2006

Klaus Urban wrote:

This is a suggestion, not a "technical" reply, but I am quite used to solve any problem by means of any (legal) way. Sometimes, a simple resource can help us better than a state-of-the-art device/software (though the latter, when available and cost-efficient, are always welcome

I would do the following:
1) Make a copy of your original version under a different name to safeguard the former.
2) Delete all pieces of text on note pages in your new file. Save the presentation.
3) Now Open the "properties" in the way our colleague suggested it. You have now your wordcount only on the very slides.
4) Go back to your original version and make a new copy of it, where you will work from 2) to 3) above, but this time deleting only the slides, so as to have in the statistics the wordcount of your note pages only.

It seems hard, but it isn't. Better than copying the whole text to Word!

Glück und Grüssen,
McN

CathyFS
CathyFS  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:27
German to English
+ ...
Exactly! Apr 21, 2006

To analyse the slides only: The only way I know of is to delete the notes as suggested by McNohara. You can then obtain the wordcount as per LaTecniK's suggestion, or, if you have Trados, you can use this to analyse the file.

Cathy

Klaus Urban
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, it did work! Apr 21, 2006

McNohara wrote:

Klaus Urban wrote:

This is a suggestion, not a "technical" reply, but I am quite used to solve any problem by means of any (legal) way. Sometimes, a simple resource can help us better than a state-of-the-art device/software (though the latter, when available and cost-efficient, are always welcome

I would do the following:
1) Make a copy of your original version under a different name to safeguard the former.
2) Delete all pieces of text on note pages in your new file. Save the presentation.
3) Now Open the "properties" in the way our colleague suggested it. You have now your wordcount only on the very slides.
4) Go back to your original version and make a new copy of it, where you will work from 2) to 3) above, but this time deleting only the slides, so as to have in the statistics the wordcount of your note pages only.

It seems hard, but it isn't. Better than copying the whole text to Word!

Glück und Grüssen,
McN

Klaus Urban
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Cathy! Apr 21, 2006

CathyFS wrote:

To analyse the slides only: The only way I know of is to delete the notes as suggested by McNohara. You can then obtain the wordcount as per LaTecniK's suggestion, or, if you have Trados, you can use this to analyse the file.

Cathy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Power Point Word Count

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »