https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/45815-paypal_and_moving_to_another_country_italy_to_australia.html

Paypal and moving to another country (Italy to Australia)
Thread poster: Kimmy
Kimmy
Kimmy
Local time: 02:00
Italian to English
+ ...
Apr 25, 2006

I have recently moved to Australia from Italy and am in a sitaution where to receive payment from my usual clients is getting expensive with bank transfer charges. I want to set up my paypal so that they pay me that way but I am unsure of a few things:
1. Should I open a Personal or Premier account?
2. Are the charges and their exchange rates OTT (I read that they are fixed by paypal themselves)?
3. It states that you pay 2.4% with the premier account when withdrawing funds up
... See more
I have recently moved to Australia from Italy and am in a sitaution where to receive payment from my usual clients is getting expensive with bank transfer charges. I want to set up my paypal so that they pay me that way but I am unsure of a few things:
1. Should I open a Personal or Premier account?
2. Are the charges and their exchange rates OTT (I read that they are fixed by paypal themselves)?
3. It states that you pay 2.4% with the premier account when withdrawing funds up to 5000 AUD and then 2.5% spread on currency conversions! What is a "spread" exactly?

I really do not want to be handling payments and taxt issues from across the globe so I need to find an answer to this! Any ideas!!!!??????

Kim

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-04-25 13:14]
Collapse

Heather Chinchilla
Heather Chinchilla
United States
Local time: 12:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
Moneybookers Apr 25, 2006

Have you checked out Money Bookers? They're supposed to be good for taking international payments. I signed up for both Pay Pal and Money Bookers, but haven't used Money Bookers yet. Maybe others have tried it and would care to share their feedback?

Sofia Ortega
Sofia Ortega
Spain
Local time: 18:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hi Kimmy Apr 25, 2006

I have recently set up my PayPal account and I had exactly the same doubt you have now. I call them up and I was informed that is better for you to set up a Premier account as you will need to both pay (well, I am assuming you may use Paypal to buy something on the Internet or get registered somewhere too, like this site) and receive payments.

Good luck! I dream about moving to Australia too..

Kimmy
Kimmy
Local time: 02:00
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I haven't looked into Moneybookers Apr 26, 2006

It doesn't surprise me that they say open a Premier account, That way they get more money!

Curious to see what other people have done when moving from a EU country to a NON-EU country!

Kim

Sofia Ortega
Sofia Ortega
Spain
Local time: 18:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
hehe Apr 26, 2006

Yes, your are probably right!

Best of luck.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Paypal and moving to another country (Italy to Australia)

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »