Juan Perello  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 10:04
Member (2005)
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 26, 2006

Hello everybody

It is the first time I use paypal and after my client send me the payment I got an email saying that I had to upgrade my acount so I could receive that payment, or else, that I could deny that payment and have the payer issue a new payment without a credit card. We agreed to do so, but now the client has realized that all of their payments are done through credit card.
What should we do to sort this out?
Can I accept without upgrading? (I just don't hace a credit card right now)
Can my client send the money without using the credit card but just dont know jow to?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Juan Luis

Direct link Reply with quote

Niina Lahokoski  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:04
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
You must upgrade Apr 26, 2006

Hi,

You cannot accept credit card payments unless you upgrade, but I don't remember if you need to have a credit card for that.

If your client has a PayPal account, they probably could transfer the money to their own account first and then make the payment from the account instead of using a credit card?

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:04
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
You can upgrade without a credit card Apr 26, 2006

I upgraded too a few months ago and it proved a no-fuss procedure with Paypal. But transferring money to your bank account costs rather much.
Regards
Heinrich

Dees  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:04
English to French
+ ...
Upgrade or ask for a different type of Paypal payment Apr 26, 2006

Hi Juan,

Yes indeed, you do not need to have a credit card to upgrade your Paypal account. You will be able to receive credit card payments (also from people who do not have a Paypal account). However you will pay 3.4% of the amount you receive if you wish to withdraw it to your bank account. Please correct me if I'm wrong on the Paypal commission rate.

It is also possible, as Niina mentioned above, for your client to transfer funds to their Paypal account first and then transfer you the money (it may take up to a week). There is also another possibility which is called 'Paypal instant payment' (you receive the payment immediately provided your client has a card linked to their Paypal account that guarantees a source of funds).

If you don't upgrade, you will pay a few cents to withdraw less than 90 dollars and nothing if you withdraw more than that. The dollar is not my base currency so it is not an exact number, I'm not sure of the amount in your case. And last thing that may be useful for you to know if you are a first time Paypal user, bear in mind that you have certain limits on the amounts you can receive on your Paypal account and withdraw from it. Check into it.

I think that you are allowed to downgrade an upgraded account once.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
upgrade or... Apr 26, 2006

you won't be able to withdraw the money. If you don't upgrade the only thing you can do is to spend the money through Paypal (I mean, buying things).

Regards

Clarisa

Chile
Member (2005)
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks!! Apr 26, 2006

Thanks a lot to you all.
I was quite sure I needed a card, though I don't know where did I got that from.
I decided to upgrade, so that I can make things easier for the client.

Thanks again, and sorry for the ugly typos on the previous post.

Minoru Kuwahara
Japan
Local time: 22:04
English to Japanese
+ ...
I had the same problem before. May 18, 2006

I had the same problem with payments via PayPal a few years ago. I once upgraded my account to Premium, however, considering the higher frequency of receiving direct payments between PayPal accounts, I soon found out there was more demerit than merit in my having done so because I was to be charged of commission per payment, ALL of them, whether or not it was creditcard or non-creditcard, as a Premium account holder, which was no concern otherwise. So I soon downgraded the account to Personal, which was actually the best choice I have made to date. However, instead, of course, I always need to inform the agencies that I stay unable to receive a creditcard payment via PayPal. Even so, some agencies are not quite familiar with this particular policy of PayPal, and it sometimes leads to a confusing situation where I receive a creditcard payment and have to cancel it with all above explanation.

This is just my case, and I guess whether or not the choice to upgrade may be effective depends on the frequency you receive creditcard and non-creditcard payments via PayPal. If you have much more cases of dealing with the former option, that could work better for you for sure, otherwise not. For example, if you are expecting larger-scale projects with multiple agencies sooner or later in your career and they all agree to pay you using creditcard via PayPal, your decision should certainly compensate the percentages of commission deducted from your payments. Situations only count.

So I may advise it's important for you to know what methods of payments you expect agencies to use predominantly or equally in your current and future transactions. In some cases, bank transfer works better in view of individual transactions.

Hope to clarify something.

Minoru Kuwahara

Chile
Member (2005)
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 18, 2006

Thanks a lot minoru for your detailed explanation.
I'll consider what you say and take a decision based on that.

By the way, do you know how long does it take for a denied credit card payment to be returned to the payer? are they charged any fees for that?

Juan Luis

Minoru Kuwahara
Japan
Local time: 22:04
English to Japanese
+ ...
Better access their website May 18, 2006

juanluis wrote:

Thanks a lot minoru for your detailed explanation.
I'll consider what you say and take a decision based on that.

By the way, do you know how long does it take for a denied credit card payment to be returned to the payer? are they charged any fees for that?

Juan Luis

Hello Juan,

I have never asked that question to my clients, but from what I guess, no actual transfer will have been made unless you confirm a creditcard payment and it's possibly just a matter of minute that an instant notice of payment denial will be sent to the sender. As to fee, again I can only guess, but I do not suppose denied transaction affects your account balance at all.

I'm just a user myself and am not familar with everything on PayPal service, so if you may want to know more definite answers to your questions, I may advise you access their Help page first. I think you will find answers to most of the prominent questions you may have about sending & receiving money on the site. Here is URL:

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_help-ext&eloc=0&loc=5&source_page=_home&flow=

Cheers,
Minoru

[Edited at 2006-05-18 14:40]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Receiving a credit card payment on paypal

Advanced search

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs