Amy Christie
Amy Christie  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:26
Italian to English
+ ...
Apr 27, 2006

Hello everyone,

I have been contacted by an agency for possible work, but they pay per page of 1500 characters including spaces. Can this be equated to an amount of words?
I have always been foxed by this so would appreciate enlightenment!
Thanks.
Amy

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 15:26
Dutch to English
+ ...
Compare your own previous translations Apr 27, 2006

You could take one or more of your own previous translations in Word and look at the "properties". It gives you the word count as well as the count for characters or characters with spaces. If you take several documents, you could calculate an average. It would be best to compare documents that are regular text, not tables etc.

Armorel Young
Armorel Young  Identity Verified
German to English
Try Fee Wizard Online Apr 27, 2006

You might find Fee Wizard useful - it's a free tool which you can access on line which compares different pricing methods and helps you convert from one to the other. It's at http://www.amtrad.it/feewizard.php

Trevor Butcher
Trevor Butcher
Local time: 23:26
English
Compare a range of styles Apr 28, 2006

Hi,

If you use the word/character count of Word, first remember to choose a range of text styles. You might find that for some areas you use more big words than in others, certificates might have bigger than average words while newspaper reports smaller than average.

Hmm, maybe I ought to do the same.

Trevor

Mary Murata
Mary Murata  Identity Verified
Japanese to English
word count in powerpoint Apr 28, 2006

Similar but different problem. I recently translated 42 power point slides.
PP doesn't (as far as i can tell) give a word count. I tried to 'select all' and paste into a word doc to count it, but 'select all' only selects one slide at a time.
I also tried to "analyse" it in Translators workbench but no joy there(PC just froze)
So I ended up cutting and pasting each slide one by one into word to get a word count.
Is there a better way than this?

[Edite
... See more
PP doesn't (as far as i can tell) give a word count. I tried to 'select all' and paste into a word doc to count it, but 'select all' only selects one slide at a time.
I also tried to "analyse" it in Translators workbench but no joy there(PC just froze)
So I ended up cutting and pasting each slide one by one into word to get a word count.

[Edited at 2006-04-28 14:59]
Collapse

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:26
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Counting words in Power Point Apr 29, 2006

Mary Murata wrote:

[Edited at 2006-04-28 14:59]

To count words in power point, click on File, then Properties, then Statistics, and you'll see the word count in a list there. Hope this helps. I just found out how to do this today, by the way!

Amy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to work out the word count!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »