Mobile menu

writing in your own language
Thread poster: scooty
scooty
Local time: 06:04
English to French
May 3, 2006

Hello !

I've been offered a new kind of work, which is writing messages between 50 and 250 signs about a topic in my own language.
I have to give a rate for 1000 messages.
Have you ever done that kind of work ? How do you do to set up a rate in comparison to your translation rate ?
Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

Hester Eymers  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2005)
English to Dutch
+ ...
My two cents... May 3, 2006

Hi Scooty,

For several years now I have been writing reviews of books for several Dutch newspapers and magazines. Those rates are quite low, in most cases not more than 0,25 euro/word. So I would stick to that as a minimum rate. If the work is for a commercial business, I think you can easily ask for twice that amount.

Good luck!

scooty
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
level of difficulty May 3, 2006

Yes but writing reviews is much more difficult than what I'm asked to do. I have to make up sentences like : "There are no eggs left in the fridge. Can you go and buy some ?" so I guess that's easier. So isn't 0.25 a bit too high for that type of job.
I was thinking about dividing my translation rate by 2. For example, I generally ask 18 euros to translate a page of 1500 characters. The messages I have to write contain around 150 characters. So to translate that would be 1.8 euros and to write it 0.9.
So 0.9 the message. 900 euros for 1000 messages.
Do you think it fair ? Too high ? Too low ? It's hard for me to make myself an idea.
Thank you.

Sanaa Omrany  Identity Verified
Egypt
Arabic to English
+ ...
I think it's equal double ratio of translation's May 3, 2006

scooty wrote:

Hello !

I've been offered a new kind of work, which is writing messages between 50 and 250 signs about a topic in my own language.
I have to give a rate for 1000 messages.
Have you ever done that kind of work ? How do you do to set up a rate in comparison to your translation rate ?
Thank you.

Hi, dear
As long as I'm working in that category of work, I get a ratio (double) of my translation's..

My clients appreciated that, since they know that that category of work need more concentration and time than translation..

So, suppose yr rate is 0.09 $ per word in translation..
Then;
Yr rate in that category will be the double...

However, u can negotiate with yr clients, according to yr time and abilities..

Best wishes

Sanaa

Hester Eymers  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2005)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Base it on your hourly rate May 5, 2006

Hi Scooty,

Maybe you should calculate a price based on an hourly rate. When you translate, your rate gives you an hourly rate (within certain boundaries, let's say between 20 and 35 euro). Try to figure out how much time writing these messages would take you, and calculate your rate accordingly, so that you end up earning at least 20 euro an hour (your minimum hourly rate may of course differ from this example).

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

writing in your own language

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs