outrageous rates
Thread poster: Ulrich Garn

Ulrich Garn  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:39
English to German
+ ...
Aug 21, 2002

I am new to ProZ, but have been a freelance translator since 87. During my first weeks with ProZ I have found that many of the companies posting here offer per word rates that are simply an insult to any professional translator. I categorically ignore such offers, but I am afraid that there are enough people around who accept jobs for any rate. So I am beginning to have doubts about the usefulness of this site. This topic may have been discussed here before, but, as I said, I am new here, and I would be glad to hear some opinions on this.

Direct link Reply with quote

OlafK
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:39
English to German
+ ...
If you pay peanuts you get monkeys Aug 22, 2002

I have been a (non paying) member since June and I find ProZ.com very helpful, the forums and the KudoZ section, but like you I was shocked when I first saw some of the ludicrous job offers. Now I largely ignore them. There are just as many substandard agencies as there are useless translators, sollen sie glücklich miteinander werden. And yes, the discussion about rates has been going on for ages. People argue that the rates of the badly paid jobs are still good for translators living in \"cheap\" countries and since this is a global site they are probably right. But agencies actually use economic crises in certain countries to lower rates for the languages concerned substantially. I live in one of the most expensive cities of the world, unfortunately, and although this country hasn\'t been struck by a major crisis yet from my perpective it all looks a bit grim. Maybe I should move.

United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I withdraw this topic Aug 22, 2002

I am sorry for this topic. When I posted it I was not aware of the extend of these forums. I should have checked before, and I would have noticed that this topic has been discussed extensively. Just forget it. Sorry for the inconvenience.

United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
re: outrageous rates Aug 22, 2002

Hi Olaf,

thanks for the answer. I actually posted my \"withdrawal\" before I saw your answer, and I posted it only once, not twice. I think I don\'t yet understand the mechanisms of this forum. Thanks anyway.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

outrageous rates

Advanced search

Translation news

TMreserve
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs