Getting paid from an Italian agency
Thread poster: Silvia Gentili

Silvia Gentili  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 20:45
English to Spanish
May 8, 2006

Hello
I am from Cordoba, Argentina. I did a translation for an Italian agency and now they want to pay me through a bank transfer, unfortunately the bank charges to withdraw the money in Argentina are very high, and this agency does not want to pay me through Western Union because the rates are high for them. Neither Paypal or Moneybookers works in Argentina for making withdrawals. Has somebody experienced a situation like this? What would you do? I was advised to open an account in Santander Bank (Spain) till now this seems to be the best solutions, but in order to do it, I must deposit a minimum of Euros 500, which is not little. Thank you much for any info or advice. Regards.

Direct link Reply with quote

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:15
English to Tamil
+ ...
Payment mode is the first thing to decide before even starting the work May 8, 2006

I am very clear on one point. I am supposed to deliver the translation to the client at his place, without extra cost of postal charges and all that. This was clearly so in the good old days, when translations were sent as hard copies through post or courier.

Even in case of email attachment, you pay the Internet charges.

Hence it is logical that the client return the courtesy to you. My conditions are as follows:

I have to be paid my full invoice amount through Western Union Money Transfer or by MoneyGram at my native place. Any fees in this regard are to be completely borne by the client. In case he opts for bank transfer, the full bank charges are to be borne by the him only. There can be no compromise on this score.

Regards,
N.Raghavan

Argentina
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Getting paid from an Italian agency May 8, 2006

Dear Narasimhan
Thank you much for your info, which was very clear. Well in fact I should have set my payment conditions first, That was my mistake. I traied to be paid to Moneygram, and let them know abput it, but they told me that Moneygram allows money transfer not to companies but to individuals, so they said they cannot used it.

Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 06:45
English to Indonesian
+ ...
What Narasimhan said is right May 8, 2006

As freelance translators, we should make sure that these three following things are agreed between the client and the translator before the project begins:
1. PO number
2. Delivery date
3. Any charges in connection with sending and receiving the money.
In short, the amount of money on the invoice should be received fully by the translator.
Take this case as an invaluable lesson for you in facing the future clients.

Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 00:45
Partial member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Splitting charges May 8, 2006

Hello Silvia,
what about splitting Western Union charges between the 2 of you? would this be less expensive than bank charges?
May be it's worth a try.

Laura

P.S. I like seeing your name on this site, since my mother is "Silvia Gentili" as well..

mónica alfonso  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Why not a check? May 8, 2006

You can ask them to send you a check via registered mail (this is cheaper than DHL or FedEx). Then you can cash it in many places in Argentina.

Argentina
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Getting paid from an Italian agency May 8, 2006

I thank you very much for your help and suggestion, mainly those of Laura and Monica since I haven’t considered these two options; I am going to check if I can use one oh these methods. Thank you very much again all.
Regards
Silvia Gentili

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting paid from an Italian agency

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs