Mobile menu

Pricing repetitions
Thread poster: Lagom
Lagom  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:21
Swedish to English
May 9, 2006

I have received a project from an agency that requires the creation of a new TM.

They have supplied me with an analysis that the documents contain 3551 words with no matches that will be paid at my standard rate and 4777 'words' that are repetitions that will be paid at 25% of my standard rate.

I wondered whether perhaps they meant '100% segment matches' and not 'word' repetitions but the figures they have offered do not support this.

This is not a way I have worked before and I am a little confused. I will contact them first thing in the morning for an explanation but in the meantime could anyone offer any insight into understanding how this could work?

The agency involved is Spanish with a very high Blue Board rating.

[Edited at 2006-05-09 21:48]

Direct link Reply with quote

Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:21
Member (2005)
English to Russian
+ ...
The standard way of counting repetitions May 9, 2006

Repetitions are identified using whole segments. However, they are tallied using words: all words of all segments deemed to be 100% repetitions are added up.

I hope that explains it...

EDIT: I meant to say "all word counts" of all segments deemed to be repetitions are added up. That produces the repetition count for the document.

[Редактировалось 2006-05-09 21:51]

Lagom  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks - that makes sense! May 9, 2006

Thanks - I knew that there would be a logical explanation but I am too tired to work it out for myself!

In the case of repetitions/matches in a project that does not have an existing TM would you normally pay the reduced rate only for subsequent matches or for every segment that appears more than once?

Thanks,
Ben

Mikhail Kropotov wrote:

Repetitions are identified using whole segments. However, they are tallied using words: all words of all segments deemed to be 100% repetitions are added up.

I hope that explains it...

EDIT: I meant to say "all word counts" of all segments deemed to be repetitions are added up. That produces the repetition count for the document.

[Редактировалось 2006-05-09 21:51]

Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:21
Member (2005)
English to Russian
+ ...
Followup May 9, 2006

Benjamin,

I suppose that logically, a segment is a repetition if it repeats another segment. So, the original segment should not be included in the repetition count. Thus, if common sense applies, you should be paid full rate for every original segment and a/the reduced rated for every subsequent (repetitive) segment.

However, I won't vouch for anyone else following this logic in practice

If the number of repetitions is high (as it is in your case, i.e. over 50% of the document), you may want to consult with your client. After all, you should have a say in how you want to be compensated for your services!

Cheers!

Lagom  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again! May 10, 2006

thanks

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:21
German to English
+ ...
Ahem... May 10, 2006

Benjamin Love wrote:

They have supplied me with an analysis that the documents contain 3551 words with no matches that will be paid at my standard rate and 4777 'words' that are repetitions that will be paid at 25% of my standard rate.

Do you send your dentist, solicitor or auto mechanic an analysis of the work he is to do and a schedule of how they will be paid for the work?

Your customer is not the only one with a say in how and what you charge. Any discounts for repetitions are a matter for negotiation. No agreement, no discounts.

Marc

Lagom  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Absolutely.. May 10, 2006

Hi Marc,

Thanks, I probably phrased my posting badly as I do intend to negotiate. As I normally work with Scandinavian and UK companies I was not sure whether there was a different pricing schema in Spain whence the post!

Ben

Rosa Diez Tagarro  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nothing to do with Spain May 10, 2006

Benjamin Love wrote:

I was not sure whether there was a different pricing schema in Spain whence the post!

Hi, Ben,

No different pricing schema in Spain, such thing varies depending on your customer and your working relationship with that agency/direct client.

I don't know the rate you've been offered, but bearing in mind that agencies offer very low rates in Spain, I wouldn't accept any discounts for repetitions, particularly when no previous TM exists, so no Trados discounts should be dealt with.

All the best,

Rosa

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
how much discount for repeats ?... May 12, 2006

25% is a decent number - think of it like this: if it's four of them. you get a full rate for the first occurence, and nothing for the other three. Of course, if you're out of luck and there's 4777 words in segments with two repeats... TRADOS in analysis sets it to five repeats - i.e. you can export and pretranslate segments that occur that often.

btw, I never thought about it this way (g). Reading threads here definitely supports lateral thinking.

smo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pricing repetitions

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs