Mobile menu

website translation & glossary
Thread poster: Stephanie Cuadra Focanti

Stephanie Cuadra Focanti
Local time: 11:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 17, 2006

A marketing agency has asked me to translate a client's entire website and has asked that I prepare a glossary of terms prior to (in addition to) the actual translation. I was planning on charging per word on the translation and per hour on the glossary. Is this confusing?

Direct link Reply with quote

Birgit Wahl  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
You're absolutely right May 18, 2006

You're perfectly right in charging the glossary per hour. It takes much more time to prepare and translate a glossary than to do a translation of a continuous text. Especially, if you yourself have to prepare the glossary and decide what term to enter!

Good luck!
Birgit

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:10
English to French
+ ...
Hello Stephanie! May 18, 2006

No, it's not confusing, and it makes perfect sense.

It is quite simple: when you translate and can precisely count the words, charge your per word rate. In all other cases, charge your hourly rate - however, charge your hourly rate for translation. No matter how hard or easy a job, an hour of your time is worth what it's worth. Of course, harder jobs will require more time to do, thereby earning you more money. In that sense, even translation charged by the word is more profitable when charge by the hour instead.

Finally, don't be shy to ask for an extra amount for such things as glossaries. You spent that much more time working, of course you will charge that much more.

Have fun with the HTML job!

Stephanie Cuadra Focanti
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
plan changed May 19, 2006

Birgit Wahl wrote:

You're perfectly right in charging the glossary per hour. It takes much more time to prepare and translate a glossary than to do a translation of a continuous text. Especially, if you yourself have to prepare the glossary and decide what term to enter!

Good luck!
Birgit

Thanks for the input! It turns out that they won't be needing a glossary after all, so I'll be sticking to the word count to calculate my fee. It's helpful however to know what to do in these cases for future reference. This is my first website translation, so I'm still trying to get a hold of an editable version of the text so I can get the precise word count.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:10
English to French
+ ...
How to count words in HTML May 19, 2006

If you need to count words in HTML and would like to exclude the tags, just use any HTML editor - I suppose you are not using a CAT tool, because you can count text in CAT tools all the while excluding tags.

Just open your HTML code in an HTML editor - there are many good ones that are freeware. Then, just choose a WYSIWYG view mode that displays what you would see if you were displaying the site in a browser - or you may want to simply display it in a browser. Then, select all - if there are frames, you will have to select them separately. Stick all of the selected text into a Word document. This is important because if you need to take repetitions into account, it's the only way those will be picked up. Then, run your Word doc through any good wordcount software or wordcount function. I like OpenOffice wordcounts, because it also counts text in frames, textboxes, etc. - unlike Word.

Hope this helps!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

website translation & glossary

Advanced search

Translation news

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs