How much would you charge for book translations
Thread poster: anacarov (X)
anacarov (X)
anacarov (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 17, 2006

Hi,

I am going to begin translating books for a publisher. I am not sure whether I should charge per word or a flat rate for the book depending on the number of pages, etc. Any suggestions?

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
per word, per hour May 17, 2006

I'm working with a Mexican publisher, and they asked at the outset for my fee per character but I countered with a bid based on "per word" counting.

That was a very simple way of approaching the job--until they began revising, retranslating, sending art captions, etc. Suddenly, it was taking me longer to figure out how many words I'd translated than it took me to do the translation! I suggested that we use a a per-hour rate for "additional work", and they are satisfied with that
... See more
I'm working with a Mexican publisher, and they asked at the outset for my fee per character but I countered with a bid based on "per word" counting.

That was a very simple way of approaching the job--until they began revising, retranslating, sending art captions, etc. Suddenly, it was taking me longer to figure out how many words I'd translated than it took me to do the translation! I suggested that we use a a per-hour rate for "additional work", and they are satisfied with that arrangement.

A caution: If you are thinking of giving the publisher a per-project price, where would that leave you if additional material is added or rewritten at some point? Just be sure that you leave yourself some wiggle room...

Also, if you give them a price for the project, would that imply a discount (compared to your per-word rate)? I give some clients discounts for a high volume of work, but I only do that when they are not making money off the publication. If this publisher is going to profit from the book, I would not give them a discount.

So, there's my two-cents worth! Good luck with your new project!!
Collapse

anacarov (X)
anacarov (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Charging per hour May 18, 2006

Patricia,

Thank you very much for your input. I just have one question. How would you work out charging per hour with the client in terms of trust issues? How would I be able to sell them that idea?

Thanks,
Ana

Nizamettin Yigit
Nizamettin Yigit  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:06
Dutch to Turkish
+ ...
Trust issue May 18, 2006

Hi Ana,

If there is a trust issue between you and prospective client you wil most probably not get the project.

Other than that you track your time and let them know. Remember an agency and/or a publisher usually have more experince about time to spend for a project.

good luck!

anacarov (X)
anacarov (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trust issues May 18, 2006

Well, there's no trust issue, as I have never worked with them yet. We are just starting. And I was just wondering how you would generally sell the proposal of charging by the hour if the work will be done from home, and they have no way to keep track.

Thanks,
Ana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much would you charge for book translations

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »