Pricing: Target 18$/1800 characters with spaces
Thread poster: Nitza Ramos

Nitza Ramos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 27, 2002

I noticed this pricing on a recent job posting from Project Syndicate and would like to know the difference between this pricing - \"target characters with spaces\" -and the usual \"per target word\". Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wrong Forum Aug 27, 2002

Sorry, I just realized there is a \"Money Matters\" Forum. Thanks.

Eleonora Hantzsch  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just another way of counting Aug 27, 2002

Hi Nitza,

This price is equivalent to (approx.) USD 0.06/word (according to my own calculation, based on actual texts I\'ve translated).

Regards

Eleonora

Jacek Krankowski  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Strictly depends on the language Aug 27, 2002

It is true that in an English text this amounts to just under USD 0.06/word, however in a Polish text, for instance (1800 characters with spaces happens to be also a Polish standard), it is approx. USD 0.073, a difference of 22%! So watch your source vs. target combination.

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tell me how to count Aug 27, 2002

Thank you for your answers. Now please tell me, how do you count \"characters\" and convert them into \"words\"? I still don\'t understand, how is the calculation done? Thanks again.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:14
English to German
+ ...
Depends on the file format and language combination Aug 28, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-08-27 15:13, NRCV wrote:

Thank you for your answers. Now please tell me, how do you count \"characters\" and convert them into \"words\"? I still don\'t understand, how is the calculation done? Thanks again.

As Jacek correctly pointed out, the relationship between the number of characters and the number of words differs between languages.

Counting the characters is easy - MS Word does it, plus there are a number of other tools. To find out the average number of characters per word, you need to analyse the text - CAT tools have that function (I know that Trados does that - I suspect other tools have a similar functionality).

xxxszeleczky
Hungary
Local time: 05:14
English to Hungarian
+ ...
How many characters, how many words .. Sep 12, 2002

If you check this URL (http://www.peak.org/~jeremy/dictionary/dict.html) you may find a nice diagram on the distribution of X characters long words in English.

Besides, pricing as xx(currency)/page of n characters is very common also in Hungary, moreover xx (currency)/keystroke is used, too.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pricing: Target 18$/1800 characters with spaces

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs