Translation for subtitles and captions.
Thread poster: Silvina Jover-Cirillo (X)
Silvina Jover-Cirillo (X)
Silvina Jover-Cirillo (X)
United States
Local time: 21:04
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 19, 2006

Hello industry friends!

I've been contacted by a very well know captioning company and they offered me the following:

Our translation rate is $350/runtime hour (for example, $700 for a two-hour movie).

I'm used to charge on a per word basis...I'm not very familiar with this kind of quote.

How long does it take to translate the script of a 2 hour movie?

Can anybody help me?

Thanks!

Abba Storgen (X)
Abba Storgen (X)
United States
Local time: 20:04
Greek to English
+ ...
On average May 19, 2006

If you have good equipment, it will take you X 4 the time to type it down (including a final check), if they talk continuously. Therefore, it depends on how much they talk in the movie (if it's a Schwarzeneger movie, the entire script will probably be two paragraphs...

The fee looks ok...

Brasiversum
Brasiversum  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:04
German to Portuguese
+ ...
I agree with him ... May 19, 2006

The fee looks ok, and it depends always on the kind of the film!
Good look!

scooty
scooty
Local time: 02:04
English to French
rate is ok May 19, 2006

I agree, it depends a lot on the type of movie.
The rate is ok if you just have to do the translation (no transcription and no spotting).

Corza
Corza
Mexico
Local time: 19:04
English to Spanish
very subjective rate May 21, 2006

I do not think it is honest to pay by the hour this type of job, though many do. In my experience it can take you more than 8 hours' work to transcribe the text of one hour runtime. It depends on the amount of text, the pronounciation, the topic. Some time ago I translated a 60 minute training video, I charged by word and it was approximately 10,000 words transcription and about 12,000 translation into Spanish and I charged 22,000 words, and I can tell you I WOULDN'T DO IT FOR LESS. BEST LUCK, ... See more
I do not think it is honest to pay by the hour this type of job, though many do. In my experience it can take you more than 8 hours' work to transcribe the text of one hour runtime. It depends on the amount of text, the pronounciation, the topic. Some time ago I translated a 60 minute training video, I charged by word and it was approximately 10,000 words transcription and about 12,000 translation into Spanish and I charged 22,000 words, and I can tell you I WOULDN'T DO IT FOR LESS. BEST LUCK, CORZA.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation for subtitles and captions.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »