Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Lowering the pay because the earlier work was so good!
Thread poster: Jussi Rosti
Cintia Pecellin
Cintia Pecellin  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:11
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
I couldn't agree more May 23, 2006

Just couldn't.

I have no idea what the 'ethical' implications of those ideal 'reunions' would be.... but I'll bring the coffee if you get some pastries!!

I also feel ProZ is not enough sometimes, since we are limited to speak freely by some of their rules, and there must be so many others out there working for the same client and now thinking "Great! their brilliant engineers will take care of it", withou
... See more
Just couldn't.

I have no idea what the 'ethical' implications of those ideal 'reunions' would be.... but I'll bring the coffee if you get some pastries!!

I also feel ProZ is not enough sometimes, since we are limited to speak freely by some of their rules, and there must be so many others out there working for the same client and now thinking "Great! their brilliant engineers will take care of it", withouth foreseen future comebacks of the same messy translations...

And now let's seat and stay put for a few more hours while they "fix" the text and hand it in many hours late... without renegociating deadlines, of course!

[Edited at 2006-05-23 08:28]
Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I loved the e-mail I got from a client last week May 23, 2006

Not an enquiry, but an order from a regular client over the past 18 months: "Please translate the attached text and deduct the word count for the smilies, etc."

I was certain that 12 smilies would make 2 words, but wrote and asked the client how much to deduct, as I had no time to count the smilies and etc.'s, and in addition I did not know what the etc.'s may be. Imagine my utter astonishment when the client suggested deducting 47 lines! I did not take that job either.

... See more
Not an enquiry, but an order from a regular client over the past 18 months: "Please translate the attached text and deduct the word count for the smilies, etc."

I was certain that 12 smilies would make 2 words, but wrote and asked the client how much to deduct, as I had no time to count the smilies and etc.'s, and in addition I did not know what the etc.'s may be. Imagine my utter astonishment when the client suggested deducting 47 lines! I did not take that job either.

Astrid
Collapse

Ana Cuesta
Ana Cuesta  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
Let them please themselves May 23, 2006

Cintia Pecellin wrote:

I'm sure you've just received their new mail, though... what do you think of that??

FYI, our client has now informed us that, and since apparently we shouldn't even touch the 100% matches, their engineers will apply these matches to the original file for translation. They believe this would be so much better for us, translators, and "cost effective" for the agency.

Now, that's a solution to our complaints, I'd say! (can you feel the sarcasm all the way from Madrid?...)

I don't know about Finnish but following that route in the EN>ES pair will for sure be a big eye-opener for them... and by the time they come back to you to clean up the mess they'll probably think 20% was not a bad deal after all

Jussi Rosti
Jussi Rosti  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:11
Member (2005)
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Now, what to do with this kludge? May 24, 2006

Cintia Pecellin wrote:

I'm sure you've just received their new mail, though... what do you think of that??

Cintia, I have received the files, including ca. 11,500 pre-translated UI terms; probably you, too.

Some questions:
- Do you feel responsible for post-layout lingustic processing of this UI?
- Are you going to fix incoherences between help and UI? Since we are not supposed to look at the UI terms, how can we know are they in harmony with the actual software?
- Generally, how will you react, if they ask for a fix in either help or UI for a problem tha arose from the process of limiting our pay?

Should I warn them already beforehand that there is no coming to me with these issues?

Cintia Pecellin
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
I did! May 24, 2006

Hi Jussi,

I finally received the files, yes, and right away proceeded to inform them of the following:

- I will no be responsible for lack of concordance between help and UI.
- I will, as repeteadly advised to, not even LOOK at the pre-translated terms.
- Once this project is over, I will renegotiate rates if further revision or fixes are needed within these texts.

I've had it with this mess; I do like the client and most of their pr
... See more
Hi Jussi,

I finally received the files, yes, and right away proceeded to inform them of the following:

- I will no be responsible for lack of concordance between help and UI.
- I will, as repeteadly advised to, not even LOOK at the pre-translated terms.
- Once this project is over, I will renegotiate rates if further revision or fixes are needed within these texts.

I've had it with this mess; I do like the client and most of their projects, but it's lousy payment for all this work and headaches...

And then the endless, and unpaid, PLLP and revisions after DTP!!... you get those too, right??
Collapse

Jussi Rosti
Finland
Member (2005)
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm so fed up May 24, 2006

Cintia Pecellin wrote:

I've had it with this mess; I do like the client and most of their projects, but it's lousy payment for all this work and headaches...

And then the endless, and unpaid, PLLP and revisions after DTP!!... you get those too, right?? [/quote]

¡Hola Cintia!

Of course I get those. Also small interrupting "missing strings" translations and - of course - no minimum fee is applied, they just pay them "on your next PO".

I'm really fed up, especially because during this heavy and full-of-pressure project I got chased by another PM from the company, and she insisted I need to fix my UI problems form a project that was ended a long time ago (there seems to be no time limit for complaints!). I didn't even remember that project and I couldn't understand how could I have done such a mess. I got a bit mad, becuase I'm still struggling to meet the deadline with this big one.

And you know what, it turned out that it wasn't even me who had translated the UI wrongly! I lost couple of hours investigating the issue and slept really badly that night.

When I signed the contract with the current rate, I never understood how much work and hassle is involved. I must renegotiate.

Cintia Pecellin
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
Unbelievable! May 24, 2006

Just Monday I was rudely asked by another PM to review "old files" that they had complains about!!

I couldn't even remember the original project, nor could I find it anywhere in my computer, TMs, old mails... nowhere.

Finally I realized I was handling a MX-Spanish TM, full of serious mistakes (it read like a Systran translation).... but it wasn't mine at all!! Of course I never received any apologies or further explanations.

Right now I'm trying to
... See more
Just Monday I was rudely asked by another PM to review "old files" that they had complains about!!

I couldn't even remember the original project, nor could I find it anywhere in my computer, TMs, old mails... nowhere.

Finally I realized I was handling a MX-Spanish TM, full of serious mistakes (it read like a Systran translation).... but it wasn't mine at all!! Of course I never received any apologies or further explanations.

Right now I'm trying to deal with 1400 words for tomorrow (of course divided among 20-something gorgeous files) and over 20 thousand more for Monday (their time, always), so that means I'll be working all weekend, not even smelling the glorious sun outside my window, and burning my eyelashes Sunday night, trying to make a timely delivery...
Now, that's sounds like a weekend plan!!!

"Serenidad" is my key word for the day!

Cintia.

I'll print T-shirts with their favourite sentence: "I'll add it to your next PO"; want one?
Collapse

Jussi Rosti
Finland
Member (2005)
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
We got them May 24, 2006

Cintia Pecellin wrote:

OK, actually I suspected that. It was not just me, they are probably doing it systematically.

I'll print T-shirts with their favourite sentence: "I'll add it to your next PO"; want one?

Sure!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lowering the pay because the earlier work was so good!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »