https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/47987-need_advice_on_payment_for_freelance_translation.html

need advice on payment for freelance translation
Thread poster: Agnès Mayol
Agnès Mayol
Agnès Mayol  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:51
English to French
+ ...
May 22, 2006

I'm asked to traduce as a freelance for a journalistic topic about 100 000 words. what would you charge for this and how would you ask to be paid as at first contact with the person ?
thanks in advance
swahilu

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:51
Spanish to English
Be careful May 22, 2006

I'm not the expert, I got done by an agency last year who offered me an enormous job first off and without even giving me a test. Fortunately someone warned me to get a deposit from them and now that is all I have for over a month and a half's work at a ridiculously low rate.
So get a good deposit or maybe even paid in advance, or at least a series of partial payments. Don't be fooled as I was by an impressive lump sum price, charge the going rate.

Jackie Bowman
Jackie Bowman

Local time: 23:51
Spanish to English
+ ...
Advice May 23, 2006

For 100,000 words I would ask for a minimum of 12 US cents a word. If they didn't want to pay me that, I would refuse the job.

It will be interesting to see how many other members of your online "community" are prepared to suggest actual rates to you, rather than speaking in the abstract.

I wish you all the best.

PB Trans
PB Trans

Local time: 04:51
French to English
+ ...
Difficult to answer without more info May 23, 2006

The rate would depend on the topic. How specialized is it? A journalism topic could be any type of subject... politics, technology, finance, fashion, entertainment, etc. The more specialized/technical, the higher the rate.

The rate would also depend on the country where the agency is based. Rates vary greatly from country to country.

As for payment terms for such a large project, I would ask for 1/3 up front, 1/3 half-way through and 1/3 upon completion. Get it in writi
... See more
The rate would depend on the topic. How specialized is it? A journalism topic could be any type of subject... politics, technology, finance, fashion, entertainment, etc. The more specialized/technical, the higher the rate.

The rate would also depend on the country where the agency is based. Rates vary greatly from country to country.

As for payment terms for such a large project, I would ask for 1/3 up front, 1/3 half-way through and 1/3 upon completion. Get it in writing.

And lastly, if I may add... the word for "traduce" in English is "translate".

[Edited at 2006-05-23 12:35]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

need advice on payment for freelance translation

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »